Author Topic: Room treatment??  (Read 6957 times)

Offline VK

Room treatment??
« on: May 22, 2010, 04:17:28 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with the room treatment that Barrier acoustics supplies (supplied by Music Mate)?
How does it compare to the mineral fibre option for absorption and how good are the diffusers?
http://www.musiconhold.co.za/barrier%20acoustics.htm

Offline DRNB

Re: Room treatment??
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 05:55:23 PM »
Value for money nothing will beat mineral fibre of fibre glass.

check out energy lite from http://www.insulpro.co.za/fibreglass_products.htm

AS for the diffusers. It would certainly work, but the main thing about a diffuser is to create a uneven pattern to scatter sound in various directions. The diffusers I see on the web page has a repetitive pattern. Check this out: http://acousticpanels.co.za/acoustic_diffusers.htm
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Offline Vaughan

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 08:08:03 PM »
In my opinion, any acoustic company worth their salt should have their treatment tested by an acoustical lab so we can see some hard absorptive data. Without that, you have no clue what you're getting.  I wouldn't bother using foam-based products, in my opinion.

Foam products are decent at absorbing mid-to-high frequencies but mediocre at best when it comes to lower bass absorption because they generally have very poor gas flow properties. Since foam tends to absorbs higher frequencies, or rather, absorbs reflections at higher frequencies, this can result in a room that sounds like the treble controls have been turned down while leaving too much mid-bass and lower bass. In other words, all the boom remains while the highs are tamed. This is what happens when too much foam is used in a room.

To be fair, fiberglass can result in a similar outcome if too much is used. The difference being that fiberglass is considerably more absorptive at lower frequencies so you'll end up with a more balanced result.

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:59:27 AM »
Those Barrier acoustics absorbers in the piano room will most likely only work from about 800 Hz and up... OK as per their demo it is sure to work from 1.5kHz and up...  ::) From the before test the room is not even that bad to start with. You can do better yourself, with min effort. Not sure how they expect the bass traps to work, they are tiny, can't see them working below 200-400 hz.
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline Vaughan

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 10:49:44 PM »
If you want decent absorption down to around 100 Hz or so then 4" thick fiberglass spaced away from the corners will work brilliantly. Even thicker 6" panels will work a little below that. Of course, putting a 6" thick panel spaced 6" away from any wall probably won't give useful absorption below 100 Hz so it's extremely important to make sure that you target the zones that cause the issues to begin with (ie corners : tri-corners, wall-ceiling corners etc).

Also, surface area is key. So covering the entire tri-corner will bring about major improvements in reducing decay times and flattening response. That's what I've done with my GIK tri-traps and I'm pretty happy with the results. Still not perfect, but much better than no treatment at all.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 10:50:11 PM »
Can't comment on the products you're enquiring about, but if you're looking to get room treatment done properly you'd do well to contact Linus at Modular Muse.  Whilst he mostly does studio work, he does take on listening rooms etc. and recommends treatments based on taking measurements in the listening environment.  He installed a combination of absorptive and diffusive panels and bass traps.  The end result is acoustically excellent and easy on the eye.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 03:39:04 AM »
egd, what speakers are those? Can we have a pic with the covers off?

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 03:52:20 AM »
egd, what speakers are those? Can we have a pic with the covers off?
They're ATC SCM100SL AT's -- covers off in link.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:56:21 AM by egd »

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 04:38:49 AM »
Now that is a speaker  :)

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 04:39:27 AM »
They're ATC SCM100SL AT's -- covers off in link.

Now that is a speaker  :)

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline DRNB

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 08:03:09 AM »
Sorry to say egd, but I think you've crossed the poind where you could still be cured. (from the audio bug)  ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:11:09 AM by norval »
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Offline Blues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • when in doubt, knock'em out
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 10:05:23 AM »
hi vk,
I'd also recommend the diy approach.
while the placement of the modular muse treatments looks good (diffusors on the first reflection points..., well, we had this discussion before 8)), the diffusors look a bit crude (750Hz to 3500Hz) compared to the decware design (1125 ~ 12000 Hz) (http://www.decware.com/newsite/room.html)

there's also plans for skyline diffusors out there (http://www.pmerecords.com/Diffusor.cfm), but I've never tried them (yet).
the absorbers can also be made very easily, just get fiberglass PANELS (I used 100mm thickness), put a supawood frame around it (or have it made), put plywood on the back and fabric on the front.

apart from all this room treatment, one can also try a diagonal speaker placement, which reduces the first reflection point problems greatly...
I had the blues, so bad one time,
It put my face in a permanent frown
Now I'm feelin' so much better,
I could cakewalk into town

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 02:54:47 PM »
Sorry to say egd, but I think you've crossed the poind where you could still be cured. (from the audio bug)  ;D
Ok, I'm curious...the basis for your statement is?

Offline DRNB

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 05:05:22 PM »
Ok, I'm curious...the basis for your statement is?

Heheh, well your wall is pretty much covered in acoustic panels, with two huge speakers way into the room. Clearly you care a lot about your audio goodies.  :)

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 06:09:16 PM »
Heheh, well your wall is pretty much covered in acoustic panels, with two huge speakers way into the room. Clearly you care a lot about your audio goodies.  :)
If it was my living room I'd agree with your assessment, but I'm lucky enough to have a secluded room in the house to myself ...what else was I to do :-)