Should I bother with headphones?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vleisman

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good morning all

Not intending to stir too much, but this whole headphone thing leaves me a bit cold. I like the idea of hearing all sorts of detail and getting totally lost in the music, but at the same time it almost feels like an anti-social activity, even more than listening to the hifi.

Before moving to the CBD we were located in a noisy part of the office floor and I started listening to music on the laptop with in-ear cheapies that worked fine. Now I'm in a normal office and don't do that anymore. At home when I listen to music the wife usually sits with me, so headphones will definitely not work. Basically I just don't have the time to use headphones, and don't really have the motivation to make time. I don't play games at all, and don't watch movies alone late at night.

I recently stumbled across my old pair of HD 470 phones, the earpads have long since rotted away. I think I listened to these once after I bought them. So before I timidly venture down the dark path I guess what I'm asking is what's the main reasons for going headphones? Am I missing something here, or is it just my lifestyle that doesn't suit them? 

Also, is it worth dusting off the HD 470s, are these any good? Hard to tell off the old web reviews.

Latest posts