Author Topic: Auction vs. For Sale Thread on this Forum  (Read 6136 times)

Offline King_Julian_S

Re: Auction vs. For Sale Thread on this Forum
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 01:30:21 PM »
I think the point that often items like vintage stuff is often nigh impossible to price and auctions solve that is very valid.
+1
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 01:32:09 PM »
You could simply post it on bidorbuy and then post a notification in the heads_up thread with a link t your listing.
Hmmm ... Nice idea will do the same with for sale stuff ...
Post them on gumtree , junkmail, eBay etc....
and post a heads up here ...

Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 01:42:16 PM »
You could simply post it on bidorbuy and then post a notification in the heads_up thread with a link t your listing.

Good idea... or I think even in the classified in it's own post... just write an intro and post the link.   If the mod's agree.

Offline naughty

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 02:11:33 PM »
Good idea... or I think even in the classified in it's own post... just write an intro and post the link.   If the mod's agree.

you dont get it ..... there are lots of people saying that auctions should not be allowed a thread in the classifieds

there are various reasons for this ie the system is too open to abuse ..... for example

you could have an instance where the actual highest bid is ignored and the item given to someone who bid lower because he is a forum buddy or firend

or you could have instances where initially an agreement occurs as to what was the highest bid only for a complete U-TURN when some other forum member PMs to say i will give you 10% more than you were just bid so the seller then shafts you and gives it to the bidder who came after the auction was actually closed

most of the time the nonsense only surfaces later and causes lots of ill feelings amongst members when all the sordid details emerge after the fact .... so is it worth the additional administrative headaches for a moderation team that doesnt get paid to do the job fulltime, or is it even fair to try and make this into a used equipment commercial website ie those exist elsewhere ..... the intention of the classified section is to allow online buddies and fellow enthusiasts the opportunity to get bargains before those are passed on to random strangers 

otherwise many other classifieds and auction sites exist where you can auction away and cheat other people at your leisure ..... why create that environment here

so i for one vote ..... absolutely no for auctions and vote absolutely yes to leave the classifieds exactly as it is right now ...... "if it aint broke then dont bother with complicated fixes that will really break it" 

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2015, 02:17:08 PM »
^^ add to that, it is an end around the 50 post rule, which people have tried before - Posting elsewhere and linking it to normal thread here  :stop: :nono: :whip:
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline naughty

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2015, 02:20:42 PM »
Hmmm ... Nice idea will do the same with for sale stuff ...
Post them on gumtree , junkmail, eBay etc....
and post a heads up here ...

thats your prerogative - i would prefer that fellow enthusiasts or online buddies get the chance to get my unwanted stuff before i pass it on to random strangers .... plus if i buy something thats second hand i prefer to do it from people i have already interacted with and who i kind of "know"

even if i have an argument with someone .... thats only a disagreement, and if i want to buy something from him i would know that he isnt a cheating, lying, scumbag as you could potentially encounter on gumtree, junkmail or ebay etc because generally i have read his posts and i can gauge whether he is a liar or a cheat. Aggressive posting doesnt mean that he is a liar or a cheat - he can be opinionated and foolhardy and egotistic and yet still be an honest person to deal with

so if you prefer to deal with total strangers rather than with people whose postings in the forum have already to a certain extent, affected your participation in this hobby, then its totally your choice and no-one can change that, but its generally known that things like auctions will bring out the worst in people, and while i generally trust people on this site i have been burnt to the extent that i wont trust them enough in an auction situation where it becomes mostly a "Dog will eat another Dog just to make extra money" situation
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:24:00 PM by naughty »

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth.
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2015, 02:21:10 PM »
I think the point that often items like vintage stuff is often nigh impossible to price and auctions solve that is very valid.

The seller must do his homework re pricing of vintage items. If he/she is a member here, the www. is at his/her fingertips for research. Oh, a further requirement should be the minimum 50-post logged.

Something I've seen over an over right here over a long time - very few people seems to do internet research as to generally accepted value of items offered FS or even when they make offers to purchase.

skollie

skollie
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:29:56 PM by Skollie »
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2015, 02:27:47 PM »
you dont get it ..... there are lots of people saying that auctions should not be allowed a thread in the classifieds

there are various reasons for this ie the system is too open to abuse ..... for example

you could have an instance where the actual highest bid is ignored and the item given to someone who bid lower because he is a forum buddy or firend

or you could have instances where initially an agreement occurs as to what was the highest bid only for a complete U-TURN when some other forum member PMs to say i will give you 10% more than you were just bid so the seller then shafts you and gives it to the bidder who came after the auction was actually closed

most of the time the nonsense only surfaces later and causes lots of ill feelings amongst members when all the sordid details emerge after the fact .... so is it worth the additional administrative headaches for a moderation team that doesnt get paid to do the job fulltime, or is it even fair to try and make this into a used equipment commercial website ie those exist elsewhere ..... the intention of the classified section is to allow online buddies and fellow enthusiasts the opportunity to get bargains before those are passed on to random strangers 

otherwise many other classifieds and auction sites exist where you can auction away and cheat other people at your leisure ..... why create that environment here

so i for one vote ..... absolutely no for auctions and vote absolutely yes to leave the classifieds exactly as it is right now ...... "if it aint broke then dont bother with complicated fixes that will really break it"

No no no... Stop die horlosie!!!  :stop:
I'm not saying HOST it on the forum (I'm totally against that - WAY too much effort for the mods) I'm just saying let people know about it in the sales thread (50 post rule will still apply) if you are hosting it elseware on BOB For instance (whatever your reason prerogative)... Lock the post for no comments if you must. The heads up thread populates at an incredible rate, so it gets lost within a day, far before the auction has expired.  A single, standalone post may give it a longer shelflife and avoid members loosing out on what may just be a good buy.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:32:18 PM by Ju_dy@RT »

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2015, 02:31:15 PM »
Very happy for this thread to be locked (speaking as the one who has started it).  :thumbs:

Some very interesting comments and views expressed here - and I am getting a glimpse of what the Mods might have to deal with should anything like this ever happen!   :boxing:

I also apologise for being unaware that - as Skollie has pointed out above - this has been suggested by him, before, and the mods have already turned it down - didn't mean to waste anyone's time.  :-[
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline naughty

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2015, 02:39:49 PM »
No no no... Stop die horlosie!!!  :stop:
I'm not saying HOST it on the forum (I'm totally against that - WAY too much effort for the mods) I'm just saying let people know about it in the sales thread (50 post rule will still apply) if you are hosting it elseware on BOB For instance (whatever your reason prerogative)... Lock the post for no comments if you must. The heads up thread populates at an incredible rate, so it gets lost within a day, far before the auction has expired.  A single, standalone post may give it a longer shelflife and avoid members loosing out on what may just be a good buy.

ah okay ... apologies for misreading your initial post then  :thumbs:

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth.
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2015, 02:41:42 PM »
Very happy for this thread to be locked (speaking as the one who has started it).  :thumbs:

Some very interesting comments and views expressed here - and I am getting a glimpse of what the Mods might have to deal with should anything like this ever happen!   :boxing:

I also apologise for being unaware that - as Skollie has pointed out above - this has been suggested by him, before, and the mods have already turned it down - didn't mean to waste anyone's time.  :-[

I've got no problem with the subject having been raised again. It's not going south, yet ;D

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2015, 02:41:56 PM »
ah okay ... apologies for misreading your initial post then  :thumbs:

:dop:

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2015, 02:43:03 PM »
. It's not going south, yet ;D

skollie

Counting down  :point:

In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • And there you have it, Bob's your uncle
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2015, 12:44:51 PM »
Perhaps we should try a cables auction thread and see how that works? If that goes ok , then maybe you should think about it?
For the ad to qualify, on the description of the item must be a good valid reasons as to why that cables is so good /what makes it better than other cables before the add is approved. 
I'm hearing images, I'm seeing songs that poet has ever painted

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2015, 04:08:39 PM »
Auctions are not going to happen on this forum, unfortunately all the Mods have full-time jobs as well and none of us have any interest in any additional work load.

The Classifieds provide the most behind-the-scenes problems for us as is with deals that have gone sour, or items not as they were claimed to be, or even items that have never been delivered after payment. This is an ongoing process and buyers and sellers would do well to fully acquaint themselves with one another prior to the closing of a deal.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/