Author Topic: Auction vs. For Sale Thread on this Forum  (Read 6255 times)

Offline Aqualung

Auction vs. For Sale Thread on this Forum
« on: October 08, 2015, 06:56:33 PM »
If I recall correctly, someone (I don't remember who) recently tested the waters with an auction of an item, rather than just advertising it for sale.
And, IIRC, it went off quite well.

Are we now going to be able to do this?
Will it be on the For Sale thread, or on a new Auction thread?
Do we want it, or need it?
Can it work? If not, why not?

Mods, any comments?

(I do not have a burning desire to see this here, but if we had it, I might use it now and then.)

I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline PaganMcLoud

Re: Auction vs. For Sale Thread on this Forum
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 07:22:11 PM »
I'm all "for" a good auction.  Not sure if it falls within the by-laws of this forum though.  What say ye mods?
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Offline BillyBawb

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 07:32:03 PM »
As per most classifieds forums, it leaves too much room open for interpretation and hassles... There's a lot of potential for bad blood - or even disputes that then fall on the mods to sort out. It doesn't work, unless it's a nonsense item for the fun of it, or the proceeds go to charity.

As it is, there are incidents with people committing to selling at a negotiated price, and then suddenly selling to someone else at full price, "because money talks"...  :???:

Utterly poor form to some, perfectly acceptable to others - now can you imagine the anarchy introduced when auctioning something on a forum without the controls imposed on a fully fledged auction site?

If you want to auction stuff, put it on BidOrBuy.
Main: CX-A5100| Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig 5ch SII| B&W Nautilus 802| NHTM1| N804 | SST4| SCM1| ASW 850 + 2x 800| UA82MU8000
Bedroom: RX-A860| B&W FPM4 + FPM2 5.1 | D10.GX| UA65KS9500
Study: Panorama 2| UA55D8000
Plex + 90TB FreeNAS

Offline wanda

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 07:46:58 PM »
Auctions 'encourage' a price hike. No good imo, especially for the buyer. Classifieds as they are, allow room to negotiate a price, keeps both parties (buyer & seller) happy as I see it. So, 'NO' to auctions.
the person who has a problem has the solution

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 07:49:09 PM »
If you want to auction stuff, put it on BidOrBuy.

I sort of agree with this, but have to ask myself: how is that different from "If you want to sell stuff, put it on Gumtree"?
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 08:05:30 PM »
+1 ...
Bring it on ,., why not ...
No matter what you do you will always have two camps of thought but that shouldn't be a reason for just doing the norm ... Else ... Yip go sell and buy on AVSA or Gumtree and auction on eBay...
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline thenoizeguy

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 08:06:51 PM »
If this becomes an auction site, I'll pack my bags..

I have been trying to buy a 50cc motorbike to restore for the past few months and these things get sold to the highest bidder on FB or a buddy of a buddy etc...seriously frustrating and time wasting.

I'm quite happy how the buying and selling works on this site, and with all the posts and PM's timestamped, makes it fair for everybody.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline Spurge

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 08:28:17 PM »
Auctions instead of for sale ?? Give me auctions pleeeese. Any day.

Bring it on. I will get more of what I want as opposed to now. I only lose out on things because I do not see them up for sale quick enough, and someone else buys it.

So if you want to move to auctions I will be very happy.

Some sellers will even get more for their products than they would originally have asked for !!

Whoooo  oooh all those nice new goodies. Lekkerrrrr

Now if this does not seal the argument, I do not know.

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 08:37:29 PM »
Auctions instead of for sale

Actually - and I might not have expressed myself clearly - that is not all at all what I am asking for.

It would be auctions in addition to sales, not in stead of sales - each one pick his/her own poison, different strokes... If one does not like the idea of an auction, one stays on the For Sale thread exclusively. If one wants to "live dangerously", one ventures onto the Auction thread :) And some of us may actually use both!

(I am still only exploring an idea, and not campaigning for a radical change that will make people pack their bags...  :thumbs: )
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:45:42 PM by Aqualung »

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
If this becomes an auction site, I'll pack my bags..

I have been trying to buy a 50cc motorbike to restore for the past few months and these things get sold to the highest bidder on FB or a buddy of a buddy etc...seriously frustrating and time wasting.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/201614195/Vintage_Display_Motorbike.html
Commercial Property Broker- Upper Highway KZN

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 08:47:29 PM »
Thanks for the move, RJ - wasn't sure it that was the correct place.  :thumbs:

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 09:32:08 PM »
Agreed both auction and for sale that was also my understanding and give auctions a week only perhaps...
BTW there is no rule in the for sale section that says one have to sell to the guy who om'd first or whatever ... It can currently still be done buddy buddy or whatever the seller choose as far as I understand ...
The forum should only be a platform for like minded( or opposite minded )  people to make things easier but it should not try regulate if I choose to auction or sell my gear or even give it away ... These are big people so why is control required ...

Vote 2 ... Bring it on....

Non audiophile music lover...

Offline thenoizeguy

Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline naughty

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 09:39:43 PM »
i would never, ever, ever, ever, ever buy from an auction because it stops becoming a case of gentleman agreeing on buying and selling of goods and it becomes a whole bunch of nonsense where some bloke is going to say all the time "hey i know i agreed to sell you the thing but xyz has offered more so now if you want my stuff then you need to offer me more than he does" ..... in that case the bloke can shove his stuff up where the sun dont shine

its all too open to abuse and to people acting like thoroughbred idiots over a simple sale, so i for one think its a  :cr@p: idea to allow it on this site. It might have been more worthwhile if everyone participating in the sale section were all mature enough for it but i have seen instances here where a guys word is not good enough anymore ie he makes a u-turn and sells stuff to someone offering him R50 more ..... IMHO that is when he stops being a gentleman and becomes a  :cr@p: bag

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:43:56 PM by naughty »

Offline Skylark

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 10:16:45 PM »
Auctions can work both ways, sometimes in the favour of the buyer or seller. Needs quite strict rules or else things will become a mess rapidly.
Music is in the Mind