Author Topic: 'Alternative' local music  (Read 1287 times)

Offline vleisman

'Alternative' local music
« on: October 02, 2015, 09:15:59 AM »
Inspired by this post from G, I like quite a lot of African music but don't know much about the genres/artists/details. Hoping to get some input as to great SA and African music that us whiteys don't often know about...any recommendations?

One thing please: If you're going to suggest rap and other variants of (c)rap, post a warning  :sh1tstirrer: IMO rap died along with Tupac, and the local stuff that I've heard is just awful.

You are quite right and I have a growing number of customers that are African. 
The lifestyle has a stronger thread of music importance running through it too. 

The best part is I get introduced to new music I may have otherwise never known about. 

You may be surprised that there is in fact already a very passionate high end "culture" there and I do think it will only grow.

Offline Katji

Re: 'Alternative' local music
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:32:02 PM »
Nowadays i only listen to deep house, soulful house, and tribal house, afro house.  Deep house, apparently South Africa is the biggest single market for it. Some of the SA producers/DJs are famous in Europe, especially 2 from Durban, Black Coffee and Culoe De Song. They're just back from hectic summer tours in Europe. Like one guy said, if there was a world cup for music, house music, we would win.
There's an amazing amount of talent, some of them quite successful even with simple home studios, bedroom studios.
There is some contention...(can't think of a better word), between the house music side and the hip-hop/rap side.
PS: 
Tupac is still the main man.
From 1960's Beatles through Woodstock era then underground rock and blues, then reggae...through psy-trance in the late 1990s, then underground hip-hop and R&B Soul,...i never liked house music, too sort of disco-ey for me, but now i like deep house and even jazzy house.

Maybe you should try 2 or 3 of Culoe's tracks.  Some is more Zulu traditional influence, others more spacey, more atmospheric, driving synth style. (Best i can describe it.) i could pick 2 or 3..... youtube is probably a good place to start, easy, although i don't bother with it anymore; i listen to samples on soundcloud and traxsource, then search for 320 kbps versions of the tracks i want.

PPS:
genres/artists/details.
i have subfolders named ~info~ for saved web pages and links and album covers and so on. ...A lot.

Your avatar pic, man in black... Johnny Cash is one of the few exceptions to what i said; i found some Johnny Cash songs that i like,play them quite often. Few years ago, i would never have believed that i could ever like Johnny Cash. His version of U2's One.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:56:50 PM by Katji »

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 03:03:09 PM »
Not sure what sort of music people are looking for on either thread but I'd go with Felix Laband for 'modern'.  Add in Constructus Corporation (includes Die Antwoord before they disappeared up their own bottoms in a presumed attempt at irony), there's a couple of really amusing noise mongers on band camp calling themselves 'Gareth Cliff' and saying their music is business motivation/noise

http://dutcheastindia.bandcamp.com/album/winning

There's a UK based label rereleasing old SA jazz as well (matsuli music) on vinyl who have some very good stuff that would be otherwise impossible to track down.  Personally, the 'Batsumi' album sounds more like something which would have been a cult krautrock record had it been released on Brain, Pilz or Ohr at the time.  The rest is fairly jazzy but in an interesting way.

Just some of the diverse stuff and that's before I have any clue who is playing on the mp3 player in the taxi to and from work, just that it's high volume house music which does tend to take the mind off whether the driver is going to load another 10 people.
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline Nirvana

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 06:47:15 PM »
Hi Steve,not sure how Rootsy or traditional u wanna go(music from the African continent),or are u simply looking for names of good black SA muso's who play e.g. jazz,but always with an 'African' flavour?
I enjoy both of these,and may be able to share a few names if u indicate which of the above genres u'd like to explore?

Cheers,
Werner
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline AntS

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 10:55:19 PM »
How about African 'hipster'? Petite Noir is great:

https://www.youtube.com/user/PetiteNoirVEVO/videos