Orange & Mustard Beef Roast

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User121314

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds odd? You bet!

Taste great? You bet! :)

I had a 2kg Silverside roast with a thin layer of fat on top - as in 1mm thick. Silverside is ideal for slow or pot roasting.

A friend had donated us 5 bags of oranges - all were ripe & ready to eat & as we wouldn't get through them before they went over-ripe I decided to try something different.

Ingredients:
1 x silverside roast (I used a 2kg roast)
Approx 20 x fresh oranges (1 large bag)
1 x bottle wholegrain mustard (I used Maille Wholegrain)
100ml Olive Oil
200ml Contreau (could use Kirsch or Schnapps or a sweet sherry as well I'm sure)

Gravy:
Flour
500ml beef stock

Method:
Juice the oranges & remove pips from the juice.
Place orange juice into a bowl.
Add Contreau, Mustard & Olive oil.
Grate the zest of 5 of the oranges into the bowl.
Mix well.

With a paring knife make shallow slits along each side of the silverside.

Place silverside in bowl, pour marinade over it & refrigerate.

I left ours in the fridge overnight, turning in the morning (although it was nearly covered by the marinade).
Remove from the fridge about 2 hours before cooking so it can come up to room temp.

Heat oven to 260 degrees C.
Place roast in baking dish & stir up the marinade (mustard settles to the bottom) & then add about 5 to 10mm of the marinade to the baking dish. Cover with tinfoil.
Place in the oven & turn the oven down to 170 degrees C.
Leave in the oven for 10 minutes per 500g of meat (for rare roast).
Once finished cooking remove from oven, remove roast from baking tray & cover tightly with tinfoil & allow to stand until gravy is made.

Gravy:
Place the mixture of meat & marinade in the roasting pan on a medium heat & stir in the flour slowly, whisking fast! Once the flour is mixed slowly add the 500ml beef stock mixing in as you go.
Allow to simmer until gravy reaches your desired thickness, remove from heat.

Serve & enjoy!

The "sad" part for me was tossing the rest of the marinade. At the time I couldn't think of anything else to do with it!

It was yum & very tender though!

Pic as it was about to be covered in tinfoil before going into the oven:

Forgot to take more pics as everyone was scoffing!

It turned out really well - I had to add a little salt to the gravy as it was a tad too sweet for my taste, but everyone else liked it sweet! Chef's discretion and all that meant it got salt added! :)

Latest posts