Will vintage vinyl grow in value?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micron

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been selling my vinyl related equipment.

However I have now reached the point where what's left is my vinyl collection. I planned on selling the collection too, but I am having second thoughts.

Upon doing some research on the Discogs marketplace I realise that combined the collection (in total about a thousand records) has a bit more value than what I thought prior to the research.

Here is where the question comes in;

will the demand for vintage vinyl still exist in years, decades, to come and if so, do you think vintage vinyl will grow in value (implying growth of a higher percentage than inflation)?
OR
will vinyl die out as a format or lose value for some other reason and render vintage vinyls "worthless"?

If the latter is the case then obviously it would make sense to sell them now, but if the first option were to hold true it would be better to keep my collection. Who wants to sell something that will gain in value and I then have the option of playing them again if I want to after I am done studying and have my own place, etc.

I know the answer depends on many factors which cannot easily be predicted, but I would like some opinions nonetheless, especially from those that have been with vinyl for many decades and thus observed the fluctuations of the value of vinyl through the years. I'm 22 years old and thus have only limited insight on the ways in which the value of vinyl has changed over decades.

Latest posts