Turntable techs and dealers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christowp

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Just a short note on experiences with dealers and techs in particular. Recently needed to repair a part on a turntable arm but was unable to do this because I do not have the necessary tools. In my efforts I snapped one of the signal wires in the tomearm from solder at end where headshell fits.

Then called one of the few folks who do this kind of work in my home town and set up a meeting to drop off TT at the workshop. Received a quote I thought was fair for the work that was needed as explained telephonically by the tech. When I collected I was not convinced that the work described telephonically and which I now paid for was done. A further check seemed to confirm my hunch.

When I mentioned this to the tech the discussion did not go anywhere and started entering the "you got a bargain" territory. Also mentioned was the turntable works now so whats the problem. No parts were fitted so my bill was essentially for labour using the parts I supplied. My probing about exactly what was done was met with vague explanations that did not add up. 

What this possibly means in my opinion is that those of us who do not have the tools and tech flair are almost at the mercy of techs who do or who are willing to take on jobs on TT's. That means we can so easily be hoodwinked and then shouted down when we protest.

My questions: are there still any real TT repair people and legitimate and honest dealers around? Has this become quick money territory? Has the vinyl resurgance created a new and easily exploitatable market for repair people? My experience just made we wonder.

:'( 

Latest posts