Author Topic: Disable Windows 10 tracking easiliy  (Read 4885 times)

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Disable Windows 10 tracking easiliy
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 04:07:47 AM »
The whole Windows "tracking" thing is way overstated. Unnecessary paranoia and conspiracy theories are making something out of nothing.

Windows 10 is made to integrate all your PC and phone interactions into a unified seamless experience. To do that it has to allow Windows cloud to communicate between your desktop, laptop, tablet and phone plus allow access to your files from any PC wherever you are with high level of security - if you so choose. All of those functions are for the users benefit and are options during installation and after.

You mean like Apple does? Like Google does with Android? MS is playing a catch-up game to the other two major players. I find it rather amusing the way folks are up in arms over this. If you do not like/want the features then turn them off.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline frikkie

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 07:32:59 AM »
I won't be using MS Edge. I have no desire for MS to know my browsing history or habirs 0 and no matter what you turn off, MS will still get history.

Google is not my OS - I can choose when to use Google, and when not. I use Google as my my main email provider as well - when I want to.

When I don't want to be tracked, I use other products. With Win10, you have no choice...
Sometimes I drink a glass of water... Just to surprise my liver.

Offline Bernard

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Stereo .... what stereo ?
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 09:35:42 AM »
Not practical for the average person. I wouldnt call linux easy to use or very polished.
Noone wants to buy a R20k computer and have it look like a bag lady's bra.
Slow polish is better than fast grot especially when all you want to do is home stuff.
Of course if you want to send a robot to Mars or simulate nuclear explosions or weather patternd dont run it on Windows!!
Windows is risky for the economy as well. Took this pic of the Standard Bank ATM in Great Brak River.

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 10:09:04 AM »
Linux is the riskiest OS since it is used in a plethora of embedded devices, some of which will never receive software patches in their lifetime, we are starting to see the same thing with vulnerabilities in Android that goes unpatched simply because phone manufacturers aren't interested in providing them.

Windows hasn't been well designed from the ground up, but it has been improved with every iteration. Linux has been let off the hook for a long time due to its low market share, but we are seeing more vulnerabilities being uncovered.

With an ATM it simply functions as a terminal. I've actually had an ATM blue screen of death on me a couple of years ago and it swallowed my card!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:11:38 AM by kamikazi »

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 10:33:09 AM »
Not practical for the average person. I wouldnt call linux easy to use or very polished.
Noone wants to buy a R20k computer and have it look like a bag lady's bra.
Slow polish is better than fast grot especially when all you want to do is home stuff.
Of course if you want to send a robot to Mars or simulate nuclear explosions or weather patternd dont run it on Windows!!
what kak were you installing?
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 10:42:06 AM »
Linux is the riskiest OS since it is used in a plethora of embedded devices, some of which will never receive software patches in their lifetime, we are starting to see the same thing with vulnerabilities in Android that goes unpatched simply because phone manufacturers aren't interested in providing them.

Windows hasn't been well designed from the ground up, but it has been improved with every iteration. Linux has been let off the hook for a long time due to its low market share, but we are seeing more vulnerabilities being uncovered.

With an ATM it simply functions as a terminal. I've actually had an ATM blue screen of death on me a couple of years ago and it swallowed my card!
any unpatched OS is risky. I'd take unpatched Linux over unpatched windows any time.  Linux has had lot of exposure and public use on embedded devices and as the code is open source bugs and vulnerabilities are more readily identified and addressed.  Subsequent devices benefit from that.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline BWS

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 10:54:54 AM »
Linux has been let off the hook for a long time due to its low market share, but we are seeing more vulnerabilities being uncovered.

Low market share? The bulk of the web runs on *nix. Oracle and Red Hat, admittedly more enterprise releases than consumer, are bullet proof. Oracle calls theirs Unbreakable Enterprise Linux and is indeed that. The .deb based linux variants are not far off either
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 01:50:37 PM »
Low market share? The bulk of the web runs on *nix. Oracle and Red Hat, admittedly more enterprise releases than consumer, are bullet proof. Oracle calls theirs Unbreakable Enterprise Linux and is indeed that. The .deb based linux variants are not far off either

Quarter of a seminar I attended for Suse Enterprise Linux was dedicated to patching vulnerabilities and how they've brought in tools to make it easier for admins to do. If there are vulnerabilities on your embedded devices like your router and the manufacturer doesn't patch it you are SOL.

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 02:30:33 PM »
You mean like Apple does? Like Google does with Android? MS is playing a catch-up game to the other two major players. I find it rather amusing the way folks are up in arms over this. If you do not like/want the features then turn them off.

Exactly! I had the same thoughts about Apple / Google/ Android plus of course physical cell phone, surveillance, toll and law enforcemet camera tracking, etc., etc.

At least in Windows you CAN turn it off! :thumbs:

Offline thenoizeguy

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2015, 11:46:14 PM »
The best thing I found about 10 was that I could go back to 8.1 !

I back up WAV files daily as part of my job and 10 would not let me do it no matter what permissions I gave.

Quite happy to stay on 8.1 now as I'm not to keen on all this "sharing" etc. Usually you have to give permissions to share info etc, now it seems to be the other way round...Hmmm
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
  • The Internet.

Offline Andrew

• FLBP Aficionado
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015, 12:51:34 PM »
I updated to Win 10 on friday on my laptop - must admit it was completely hassle-free (so far, in case I jinx it!). It's a huge improvement over that horrible Windows 8, which I always struggled to work around. It's still early days, and bit by bit I've been looking through settings and disabling some of the default stuff, which was a tad questionable. Bit disappointed that my desktop hasn't been offered the upgrade like my desktop at work has, but no train smash at the moment.
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
  • The Internet.
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 07:03:10 PM »
I updated to Win 10 on friday on my laptop - must admit it was completely hassle-free (so far, in case I jinx it!). It's a huge improvement over that horrible Windows 8, which I always struggled to work around. It's still early days, and bit by bit I've been looking through settings and disabling some of the default stuff, which was a tad questionable. Bit disappointed that my desktop hasn't been offered the upgrade like my desktop at work has, but no train smash at the moment.

Nodony wants to give me Win 10 for the free upgrade.  :vsad:

But I have worked on it, and just be looks I like it.  :2thumbs:

Windows is risky for the economy as well. Took this pic of the Standard Bank ATM in Great Brak River.

Some Banks and POS at shops uses Windows XP Embedded 2009, which has official security updates from MS until 2019. But nevertheless I would still use a newer MS Embedded system or some open-source alternative.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 07:08:28 PM by oNyX »