Author Topic: Disable Windows 10 tracking easiliy  (Read 4159 times)

Offline Reef

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • My Blog
Disable Windows 10 tracking easiliy
« on: August 05, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »
Privacy is a big concern for Windows 10 users, this tool seems to make disabling tracking a lot easier https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking
https://www.youtube.com/c/necriteza
Marantz SR8001
Polk Audio Monitor 30
Wharfedale Atlantic SE Center
Wharfedale Atlantic 100SE
Velodyne EQ-MAX 12

Offline oNyX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Well... uhh uh... you know...
Re: Disable Windows 10 tracking easiliy
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:33:21 PM »
Free stuff always have some snag attached to it.
"The more CoD change, the more it stays the same." - Die-hand CoD fan who saw the light.

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 10:06:41 PM »
Free stuff always have some snag attached to it.
I haven't found that very often,  some of the best apps I use are free and open source?
Music is in the Mind

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 10:14:10 PM »
I haven't found that very often,  some of the best apps I use are free and open source?

Referring to Windows, certainly the tracking was the reason why they are giving it away for free for a year.
"The more CoD change, the more it stays the same." - Die-hand CoD fan who saw the light.

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 09:39:59 PM »
Referring to Windows, certainly the tracking was the reason why they are giving it away for free for a year.
Well that and a whole host of other reasons, one big one being to get wholesale adoption of the windows marketplace to compete with the Apple store.
Music is in the Mind

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 09:45:39 PM »
Just overwrite it with Lubuntu and you'll have solved the tracking issue and feel like you've just bought a faster PC.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Kemosabe

• Undertaker
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 02:25:23 PM »
Just overwrite it with Lubuntu and you'll have solved the tracking issue and feel like you've just bought a faster PC.
Not practical for the average person. I wouldnt call linux easy to use or very polished.
Noone wants to buy a R20k computer and have it look like a bag lady's bra.
Slow polish is better than fast grot especially when all you want to do is home stuff.
Of course if you want to send a robot to Mars or simulate nuclear explosions or weather patternd dont run it on Windows!!
DIY hi-fi: the journey is the destination.

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 07:31:24 PM »
I saw some of the tracking options were listed upon installation when I chose the customize option and I disabled all of them? Does this disable the tracking or is that utility software addressing another issue altogether?

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 09:22:48 PM »
I wonder if the tool works for 7 as well.

Offline BWS

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 09:13:18 AM »
Not practical for the average person. I wouldnt call linux easy to use or very polished.
Noone wants to buy a R20k computer and have it look like a bag lady's bra.
Slow polish is better than fast grot especially when all you want to do is home stuff.
Of course if you want to send a robot to Mars or simulate nuclear explosions or weather patternd dont run it on Windows!!

Have a look at OSX. More polished than Windoze could ever hope to be and it IS Linux and I haven't had to pay for single OS upgrade since the time I bought my MacBook and El Capitan will be the same
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline kamikazi

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 11:28:20 AM »
I have to say I'm impressed with Windows 10 so far. Everything worked straight out of the box, no driver hiccups or programs not working. The GUI looks very professional and its a major improvement on Windows 8.1, on Windows 7, perhaps less so, but looks like the font rendering has had some improvements as text looks sharper to me on my 27" screen. Also feels faster than Windows 7, but it could just be the replacement SSD I chucked in.

I have my doubts about the quality of Mac OS X, new OS releases never go without some issue. I always try and wait a couple of releases before upgrading, but to my regret abandoned that strategy with Yosemite, which gave me endless crap on both my Macbook Pro and Macbook Air. On my Macbook Air the Wi-Fi would disappear for no reason at all and wouldn't come back till I downgraded back to Mavericks. The OS was very laggy on my Macbook Pro until they made a couple of updates. The flat GUI style also didn't look at nice as previous versions. It took about 6 months for the entire thing to smooth out. I sincerely hope El Capitan is going to be a better launch so I can finally upgrade the Macbook Air from Mavericks. Given that Apple only have to optimise their OS for a limited set of hardware platforms its a bit perplexing that the QA is so bad.

I have now sold my Macbook Pro as I cannot run professional applications on it and running virtualized apps was an unstable and buggy mess using Parallels 10 and they come begging for more money every year to fix the bugs of the previous version and then introduce new ones so you are forced to upgrade once again.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:32:25 AM by kamikazi »

Offline BWS

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 12:10:59 PM »

I have my doubts about the quality of Mac OS X, new OS releases never go without some issue. I always try and wait a couple of releases before upgrading, but to my regret abandoned that strategy with Yosemite, which gave me endless crap on both my Macbook Pro and Macbook Air. On my Macbook Air the Wi-Fi would disappear for no reason at all and wouldn't come back till I downgraded back to Mavericks. The OS was very laggy on my Macbook Pro until they made a couple of updates. The flat GUI style also didn't look at nice as previous versions. It took about 6 months for the entire thing to smooth out. I sincerely hope El Capitan is going to be a better launch so I can finally upgrade the Macbook Air from Mavericks. Given that Apple only have to optimise their OS for a limited set of hardware platforms its a bit perplexing that the QA is so bad.

:thinking: can only say my experience has been pain free, but agreed no OS is completely without flaw, some are just considerably more flawed than others and the trust relationship between me and the domain windows was broken years ago
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 01:09:18 PM »
If your software can run on Mac and you can afford a Mac there's pretty much nothing better, no OS or hardware is perfect but Mac's come as close as anyone has.
Music is in the Mind

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 01:39:22 PM »
The whole Windows "tracking" thing is way overstated. Unnecessary paranoia and conspiracy theories are making something out of nothing.

Windows 10 is made to integrate all your PC and phone interactions into a unified seamless experience. To do that it has to allow Windows cloud to communicate between your desktop, laptop, tablet and phone plus allow access to your files from any PC wherever you are with high level of security - if you so choose. All of those functions are for the users benefit and are options during installation and after.

For the rest - there's a reason for this:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:42:48 PM by WaterHond »

Offline kamikazi

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 02:31:29 PM »
This is really nasty though... :fuse: I feel like sending Microsoft an invoice for using up my data...

Another feature that you might want to disable is Windows 10's BitTorrent-like update sharing: by default, your Windows 10 PC will upload Windows update files to other PCs on the Internet, peer-to-peer style. Open the Settings app and navigate to Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options > Choose how updates are delivered. From here, you can disable this feature fully, or restrict it to just other PCs on the LAN.