Another newbie asking questions

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zesnake

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi all

and sorry if my questions are repeats others asked... I couldn't seem to find answers that were clear...

I got myself a Denon AVR-1911 hooked up to a 5.1 setup with diamond 8's (8.3 fronts) and a Yamaha SW p-130 sub. My questions are:

1) I'm using 1mm speaker cable I bought from Game to hook up the speakers. Very cheap cable. Would investing in thicker cables matter, especially for the music I run stereo through the fronts. This question applies to a random AV cable I'm using to hook up the sub... would that matter too?

2) I've started using FLAC files for my music and buying audio cds which I play through my Sony bluray player. Ive read online that a dedicated CD player like a NAD reproduces sound better than DVD/bluray players... how true is this? Is it enough of a difference to invest in a second hand CD player?

The reason I'm asking these questions are because I dont want to spend money on something I don't need but I also don't want to rob myself of the best listening experience I can get with my current setup. The room acoustics aren't the best (hollow wooden floors) so I know I can't get the best experience (yet). But would these factors play a role? And is the sub sufficient for the diamond 8 setup?

Sorry again if these questions are repeats... I just want clarity on what's important when it comes to improving quality without spending too much :)