High power loudspeakers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ampdog

R.I.P. 23 June 2022
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this, but I will try here. Just trying to get some practice into perspective regarding commercial loudspeakers.

I sometimes (often?) read on forums and elsewhere someone "glibly" using or looking for a cool 400W amplifier to drive a 4 ohm loudspeaker.

???????????????

As far as I am aware of, modern loudspeakers (well, quite a few of them) have an efficiency lying somewhere either side of 1%. So, in plain Ohm's Law, the speaker system is dissipating most of the high quality audio one paid so much for, as heat. All 396W of it in the above example.

Has someone ever had an opportunity to look at the insides of such a (say) woofer? I have a Weller 120W soldering iron, and if you should enclose that thing in a cabinet for any length of time ........ I also once saw a Black Widow that gave up the ghost after so many years, and brother, everything inside it was roasted. My humble question is: HOW?

That of course does not have to do with the impedance in the first place, but the current drawn does. 14Ap in the case of 4 ohms. I presume that wattage for 8 ohms needs too high a supply voltage. Still, 4 ohms sometimes going down to 2 ohms, as I see some say?? What kind of hausers do these folks use for cables?

Basic questions for those with more experience of practical loudspeakers than I have, but I always wondered about this. I suppose I should also add that by that time (400W) I would have chickened out long before and use multiple drivers, but very often one finds only 2 for such systems. (I mean in the same frequency band, not multiple frequency-wise.)

Can someone here broaden my horizons, please?

Regards