Author Topic: Smoked ribs  (Read 3519 times)

Offline shadow.clone

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Smoked ribs
« on: June 28, 2015, 09:01:22 PM »
I recently tried my hand at smoking meat on a Weber kettle. What follows is a small write up on the process I followed. Note that this is the first time I've smoked meat so I'm definitely no expert on the matter. Hoping to get some tips from the pros on this forum and perhaps inspire a few to try out smoking.

I started out by washing and patting dry a 1.7kg rack of beef short ribs. I then prepared a dry rub for the meat by mashing together salt, pepper, cumin powder, coriander powder and paprika. This was rubbed onto the meat with just a bit of Worcestershire sauce and left overnight in my fridge.

Next up are the wood chips that will add the smokey flavour/aroma to the meat. I used Weber's pecan woodchips because they were the only ones I could find. I would have liked to have used hickory though. I threw them into a bucket of water and left them to soak overnight. Some say it's unnecessary to wet your wood chips but it doesn't hurt to try.

The next morning I setup my Weber for indirect heating: coals to one side and a pan of water on the other. Ribs were placed above the water pan and the wood chips thrown directly onto the hot briquettes. Note: I placed unlit coal at the very bottom and a few ashed over briquettes on top of them.

Lots of smoke!

My aim was to smoke at 110-120 degrees for ~8 hours. I thought it would be a mission to keep the temps in the kettle stable but it turned out to be a painless exercise. Minor adjustments to the top and bottom vents were occasionally required and I only added coal once during the entire smoke. The picture below was taken after 5 hours - on the initial batch of coal!

After 5 hours, I opened the lid to refresh the coal and rotate the meat. Nice browning but I expected a darker bark/crust at this point. Perhaps I needed more dry rub and/or smoke? Not much shrinkage.

Closed the lid and smoked it for another 3 hours. No basting. After this I took it off the grill and wrapped it in foil to rest for 30 minutes.

15 minutes later I couldn't wait any longer so I opened the foil and carved it up :drool:

Next time I'd like to use hickory wood chips, try basting the meat towards the end (perhaps with Clark's Sticky Plum sauce?) and use a meat thermometer instead of winging it (I suspect I smoked it for longer than needed).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:06:51 PM by shadow.clone »

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
Re: Smoked ribs
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 07:11:19 AM »
 :notworthy: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Good golly now I'm hungry,that looks awesome :thumbs:
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Hi-Fi Geek

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 09:17:32 AM »
That looks fantastic..  :thumbs:  How was the taste?

Offline zer0

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:51:07 AM »
That's some great eating there. Would not mind some of it :2thumbs:

Check out this forum for tips and tricks. Some real pros over there when it comes to smoking
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/90/smoking-meat-and-other-things

Offline shadow.clone

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 05:18:06 PM »
Thanks a lot Gents!

Taste and texture were brilliant. The bark/crust had a slightly sweet taste which I found pleasantly surprising. No burnt/bitter taste to it at all.

I was worried that the smokey flavour would be overpowering but it wasn't. If anything it leaned towards the subtle side.

It's really quite straightforward to make so I highly recommend it.

Now if only I had a kamado or Weber smokey mountain :pray:

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 07:37:50 PM »
Damn that looks mouthwatering   :drool:

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 07:29:30 AM »
If anything it leaned towards the subtle side.

Perhaps because you soaked the chips prior ?

Offline shadow.clone

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 08:11:16 AM »
Perhaps because you soaked the chips prior ?

It could be :thinking:. Although I have feeling it's due to me not using enough chips or dry rub, or opting not to baste/mist. I believe the smoke needs something to "cling" too.

That said, it definitely wasn't lacking in terms of smokey-ness.

More experimentation is required >:D

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 08:16:31 AM »

More experimentation is required >:D

Agreed :point: I may be joining in the investigations

Offline JP870609

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
  • Love Music. Love Life. Love People.
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 12:20:18 PM »
Very nice - you inspired me! Gonna give this a try.. Adding brown sugar and mustard powder to the dry rub mix is probably the only adjustment I would made.  :dop:
So they introduced me to stereo..

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 12:37:37 PM »
Thanks for the pics & write up, it looks fabulous!

On the menu for this weekend :). I'll add some Jalapeno powder to my rub though!
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Hi-Fi Geek

• AVForums Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 02:07:24 PM »
Everyone making smoked ribs this weekend..  :Whoohoo:

Offline thomtom

• AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 07:55:41 AM »
yum, I recorded a tv series recently on DSTV, all about fires, smoking and bbq, keen to build a smoker. I do use the Weber, pull pork shoulder for 7-8 hours, but its not easy to manage. With a proper smoker, its possible to "walk away" any one out their build a smoker diy?
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"

Offline thomtom

• AVForums Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 07:07:56 AM »
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"

Offline JJBGoode

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 12:53:13 PM »
Wow, that's a tasty looking piece of meat shadow.clone :drool: I love smoking in my Weber, I was also surprised at how easy it was the first time I did it. It really is hard to botch a piece if meat when you smoke it. I just wish mine had a thermometer like yours  :Ooooooh: The hickory is my favorite wood, it gives a lot of rich flavor (I'm a islay whisky drinker so I like my potent flavors).

Something I usually do to help the dry-rub stick is to cover the meat in a few tablespoons of olive oil (or however much you need). Another thing I found is that wetting the chips tends to kill the fire a bit so that if you want to add a few more chips later its a bit difficult to get the temp just right to where it was BUT horses for courses, or course  ;)  And you're right about the basting at the end, it really is the cherry on top. I'm planning on smoking a pork belly with a few buddies this weekend so looking forward to that!