Audio and Video Talk > Valves / Vacuum Tubes

100 valve amplifiers: A history

<< < (3/5) > >>

Ampdog:
Ah!  A fresh post here!

Seems then folks are still coming here occasionally ....  ;D

Thanks El Sid and F_D  (Must reread/refresh myself sometime.)

El Sid:
I have been doing a lot of reading up on valve amps, and i understand the basic concepts (or at least I think I do  ;D). IMHO this history shows how valve amps have evolved and converged on a couple of quite easily recognisable topologies. I certainly find them a lot easier to look at/understand than transistor amps, which are a lot more complex and varied from one to the next. I can't wait for my Mars kit to arrive and start playing!

marantz123:
Another good book I enjoy on basic valve theory and using them in amplifiers is "Basic Electronics" by Van Valkenburgh, Nooger and Neville, inc. Its "Volume 2" in their series. ( 1955, New York) . Topics are "Introduction to Amplifiers, The Triode Tube, Tetrodes and Pentodes, Audio Voltage and Power Amplifiers". Includes different types of coupling and understanding all aspects of valves, eg. transconductance etc. so simply, but effectively. Lovely 3D sketches of valve internals with explanations. 102 pages, A5 size. Red/yellow cover. I havnt searched for an online copy, but hopefully it exists and that you find it.

Interestingly in the Preface, they mention that in 1953, this educational program was introduced and soon after,  25000 Navy trainees had benefitted from the training with outstanding results.

"

The unique simplification of an ordinarily complex subject, the exceptional clarity of illustrations and text, and the plan of presenting one basic concept at a time, without involving complicated mathematics, all combine in making this course a better and quicker way to teach and learn basic electricity and electronics.

In releasing this material to the general public, the Navy hopes to provide the means for creating a nation-wide pool of pre-trained technicians, upon whom the Armed Forces could call in time of national emergency, without the need for precious weeks and months of schooling.

Perhaps of greater importance is the Navy's hope that through the release of this course, a direct contribution will be made toward increasing the technical knowledge of men and women throughout the country, as a step in making and keeping America strong.

New York
February, 1955.
"

This makes me think of the likes of Saul Marantz, David Hafler and the many other greats, once upon a time delving into this technology that was cutting edge then, and bringing the World the best that they could.

Another commonly known publication is Mullards book of Audio Amplifiers, with a few revisions, (I had one of them)  is also very good and an original hard copy is an asset to a valve technology library.

Marantz123.

marantz123:
Edit :  This may be it...all five volumes in the series.  :clap:

http://sportsbil.com/other/Basic%20Electronics,%20Volumes%201-5,%20(1955).pdf

Family_Dog:
Those books give a good basic grounding in valve electronics, we used them when I was in 5 Signal Squadron and although basic, they are very well written. Still a good read today, I reckon.

-F_D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version