Author Topic: 100 valve amplifiers: A history  (Read 15356 times)

Offline Ampdog

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Straight from the horses mouth real truths
100 valve amplifiers: A history
« on: June 27, 2015, 10:19:37 PM »
A must-read for valve afficionados.

I have just received the following most valuable reference from Skollie. A unique history of valve amplifiers since the beginning in two parts. I am indebted to him (he has also contributed!).

100 power amplifiers to lift your hat preface.

F_D may consider to make this a sticky. I will not comment now, except to say that it is a remarkable history for everybody interested in the development of valve amplifiers since the beginning of electronics (before even my time!). Many matters are put in perspective.

I distinctly appreciate correctly explaining the innovation of ultra-linear topology, which at the time was with respect, a sad opportunistic piece of deceit without giving credit where it was due.

I personally, who was part of this history for six decades, take my hat off to those who pioneered.

UPDATE:

New Link:  100 power amplifiers to lift your hat preface.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:10:46 PM by Family_Dog »
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Michon

Re: 100 valve amplifiers: A history
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 11:17:55 PM »
Wow. I've been looking for something like this. Amazing resource. Thanks  :2thumbs:

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth.
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 11:34:05 PM »
Thank you, Ampdog :)

Happy reading all.

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline JNouw

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 11:44:46 PM »
Wow!! Thanks so much. Fascinating reading here . . .
knowledge is sometimes a boundary to invention

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 07:41:44 AM »
Thank you. Fascinating & educational!
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 09:43:13 AM »
Seems I have got some reading to do...  ;)

Nice link, thank you Skollie & AD.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline charles

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 08:14:21 PM »
Thank you very much, this is fantastic reading. 

Offline TriodeFan

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 01:39:47 PM »
Facinating!

Offline El Sid

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 09:58:30 AM »
Great resource - thanks Ampdog!

The website has been slightly rearranged and the link is now outdated. Here is the link to the preface of the now four-part history:
100 power amplifiers to lift your hat preface.

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 12:15:22 PM »
Thanks El Sid, I have updated the link in the opening post.

-F_D

-Eric

Offline Ampdog

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Straight from the horses mouth real truths
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 10:23:21 PM »
Ah!  A fresh post here!

Seems then folks are still coming here occasionally ....  ;D

Thanks El Sid and F_D  (Must reread/refresh myself sometime.)
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline El Sid

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 11:12:53 AM »
I have been doing a lot of reading up on valve amps, and i understand the basic concepts (or at least I think I do  ;D). IMHO this history shows how valve amps have evolved and converged on a couple of quite easily recognisable topologies. I certainly find them a lot easier to look at/understand than transistor amps, which are a lot more complex and varied from one to the next. I can't wait for my Mars kit to arrive and start playing!

Offline marantz123

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 04:37:07 PM »
Another good book I enjoy on basic valve theory and using them in amplifiers is "Basic Electronics" by Van Valkenburgh, Nooger and Neville, inc. Its "Volume 2" in their series. ( 1955, New York) . Topics are "Introduction to Amplifiers, The Triode Tube, Tetrodes and Pentodes, Audio Voltage and Power Amplifiers". Includes different types of coupling and understanding all aspects of valves, eg. transconductance etc. so simply, but effectively. Lovely 3D sketches of valve internals with explanations. 102 pages, A5 size. Red/yellow cover. I havnt searched for an online copy, but hopefully it exists and that you find it.

Interestingly in the Preface, they mention that in 1953, this educational program was introduced and soon after,  25000 Navy trainees had benefitted from the training with outstanding results.

"

The unique simplification of an ordinarily complex subject, the exceptional clarity of illustrations and text, and the plan of presenting one basic concept at a time, without involving complicated mathematics, all combine in making this course a better and quicker way to teach and learn basic electricity and electronics.

In releasing this material to the general public, the Navy hopes to provide the means for creating a nation-wide pool of pre-trained technicians, upon whom the Armed Forces could call in time of national emergency, without the need for precious weeks and months of schooling.

Perhaps of greater importance is the Navy's hope that through the release of this course, a direct contribution will be made toward increasing the technical knowledge of men and women throughout the country, as a step in making and keeping America strong.

New York
February, 1955.
"

This makes me think of the likes of Saul Marantz, David Hafler and the many other greats, once upon a time delving into this technology that was cutting edge then, and bringing the World the best that they could.

Another commonly known publication is Mullards book of Audio Amplifiers, with a few revisions, (I had one of them)  is also very good and an original hard copy is an asset to a valve technology library.

Marantz123.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 05:08:06 PM by marantz123 »

Offline marantz123

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 05:12:28 PM »
Edit :  This may be it...all five volumes in the series.  :clap:

http://sportsbil.com/other/Basic%20Electronics,%20Volumes%201-5,%20(1955).pdf

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2019, 09:03:30 PM »
Those books give a good basic grounding in valve electronics, we used them when I was in 5 Signal Squadron and although basic, they are very well written. Still a good read today, I reckon.

-F_D

-Eric