Author Topic: Foobar 2000 - quick and easy skin  (Read 8464 times)

Offline TimbaLand

Re: Foobar 2000 - quick and easy skin
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 03:55:51 PM »
I was using Confluence on Kodi and have now moved to Aeon Nox. I spent most of the morning customizing it I tried showcase but I found it to be too busy. I chose list view instead. I like the artist biography. It makes for some interesting snapshot of who the artist is. I'm still fiddling around to see what more I can get from it.
Marantz AV8801|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and 685|Harman Kardon BDT30|Optoma HD25E projector| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver

Online naughty

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 03:50:05 PM »
hen you go back to his homepage and you will find a section that says "Theme files for the lazy" and download that (there are two versions - horizontal is obviously for PCs and vertical is obviously for phones and tablets) - its also a very small file ie something like around 8kb only and if you open Foobar and then doubleclick on that config setup file it is going to do all the work for you and when you restart Foobar it will look exactly how it does in his video

actually my mistake in this description  :be: ..... to set up the file you have to export it by going to

preferences -> Display -> Default user interface -> import theme

sorry about the mistake but if you watched the video you would have figured this out by now

Offline Davidvdw

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 08:17:30 PM »

but if i want to use coverflow on my PC i need to either use Kodi or itunes - and using Kodi for the music isnt great because it defaults to my 7.1 audio settings that are needed for movies and hence i get my music trying to play in 7.1 unless i change the audio settings each time i use the app

One way around this is to create two user profiles in Kodi - one with number of channels set to 2 and the other to 7.1 - I did this for a while, it means logging off and logging on to the music (2 channel) profile but if you can live with that....

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 08:47:36 PM »
One way around this is to create two user profiles in Kodi - one with number of channels set to 2 and the other to 7.1 - I did this for a while, it means logging off and logging on to the music (2 channel) profile but if you can live with that....

Mine details to 7.1 for 7.1, 5.1 for 5.1 stereo for stereo
Marantz AV8801|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and 685|Harman Kardon BDT30|Optoma HD25E projector| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver

Offline Davidvdw

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 09:07:47 PM »
Mine details to 7.1 for 7.1, 5.1 for 5.1 stereo for stereo

Ja mine too since I started using HDMI to the AVR... Through HDMI I think this is the behaviour - if output is SPDIF I'm not sure?

Online naughty

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 12:18:05 AM »
still not bothered to use Kodi for music - IMHO Foobar 2000 is still my "go to" app for music ie since i can use it on my tablet as well with the skins that i like etc

heres my current "load shedding" music setup  ;) no need for inverters etc to play the full system

just need a large jackpin to mini-jackpin adapter for my sennheisser HD555's and i need to get a nuprime uDSD DAC to connect in between the tablet and headphones and it will be a pretty decent audiophile type headphone listening setup

i havent bothered to test kodi since that issue i was having with XBMC .... but i do use Kodi for movies (mkv files)

the only bit of Kodi i love is the coverflow action of the aeon knox skin but foobar 2000 still does a lot of extra stuff for music especially with the lyrics plugin and a few other things like the additional 32 band 1/3rd octave EQ plugin etc ..... still im not going to change my music player for different aesthetics ..... either way i dont mind using lots of apps since there are times when i have issues with Kodi for movie playback that can easily be sorted out by using either VLC or MPC-HC (which you get in K-Lite codec pack) - so amongst all these apps including itunes i get some different functionality that i want or need so i just use them all  :thumbs:

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:25:23 AM by naughty »

Online naughty

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 09:03:27 AM »
if you have foobar 2000 installed in portable mode you can easily add a second instance of it with a different skin ..... heres a screenshot of my config another skin that is also nicely configurable

Xch4nge

you can make this one as busy or as neat as you like ..... heres what it looks like after first setup and following the youtube video of the setup

then you can add more configs ie go to a second layout and get it to look like how i have it above .... to show how to add the layouts look at the top right of the shot in the following picture

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:05:31 AM by naughty »

Online naughty

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 03:30:45 AM »
heres one of the reasons why i wanted to stick with Foobar2000 ie i have purchased a cheap second hand 7" Acer android device ie its cheap at the second hand price and i have installed some remote control apps which work brilliantly

the first apps name is Foobar2000 controller and it makes use of the Foo_HTTP server component on the PC and it also obviously has an android component - so if i want to only listen to music all i need to do is start the program and then i can switch off the TV if i dont want it playing anymore

here is the tablet device with the current now playing playlist displayed on the screen ..... i can also view the entire library as well if i want to

then i can shift over to the controls screen which also displays the coverart of the album/track now playing

heres a pic of the tablet as the remote control with what i see on the PC screen ..... note that the app on the tablet doesnt do any streaming besides for the coverart and tag info and is merely a remote control app for whats going on in the PC part of Foobar 2000 and the free version allows you to switch between 2 instances of Foobar while the paid version (only R13-35) allows you unlimited instances - so im soon going to get the paid version so i can set it up for as many machines as i have foobar on and also for as many skins as i want to use with as many instances of the portable install so i use the skin that suits my mood  :thumbs:

the other app i have downloaded is the server section of unified remote and the free section of the android app that includes 18 free remotes for various PC functions including VLC player .... the paid part which im going to get eventually adds up to 96 different remotes for PC programs and PC functionality (at a cost of R40) so now i have a reason to get one of those google playstore vouchers to purchase apps  ;)

some of the programs that unified remote can control includes : Foobar, (naturally  :EGrin:) Kodi, MPC-HC, VLC, itunes, and many others which i reckon i will eventually use ie even the guys using spotify, netflix, Jriver are catered for but i have to admit that after using the Foobar 2000 controller with the coverart etc the unified remote app does look a bit spartan and not at all pretty but its definitely functional and works with a wide variety of PC functionality

then the other app which i still want to play around with is the new official Kodi remote app .... i still havent set it up but im sure it isnt too different from the XBMC version which i have used before so i reckon tomorrow i can play around with this thing a bit more since its pretty late now and i do need to sleep a couple of hours 

Offline 2wice

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 05:26:16 AM »
IF you want you can make your WF seekbar look better with the Direct3D C rendering.

Online naughty

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 12:24:25 PM »
IF you want you can make your WF seekbar look better with the Direct3D C rendering.

will give that a try thanks for the heads-up  ;)  :thumbs:

EDIT - i had it set exactly as the skin allowed - each time i click on the direct 3d setting it still defaults back to GDI each time i reopen the program - but there are some other settings that i successfully managed to change  :nfi: so it does make a minor change to the overall look of the seekbar

Offline 2wice

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 01:00:01 PM »
You need to install this.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-za/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Will work after that. Then you can make it all pretty like.

Online naughty

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 01:06:52 PM »

that seems to be direct x 9 but i already have direct x 11 on my machine i thought that this would have been backward compatible? and should include all the functionality of previous direct x versions?

will need to research this carefully since i dont want to downgrade my direct x versions just to find out that my graphics card then gets to miss out on some functionality ..... or am i incorrect and you need to install all the direct x versions separately with the newer versions not being backward compatible?

edit : ah okay - just saw at another microsoft webpage (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/have-directx-11-wont-play-games-says-i-need/300f3c23-d2cb-4750-9566-aad125857c8c?auth=1) that i need to use the web downloader instead of using the full version and this will download only additional files that are not included in direct x 11 but you can run 9.0c as well as 11 side-by-side as long as you dont replace any files fom the higher version .... okay will give that a try ..... thanks
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:15:44 PM by naughty »

Online naughty

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 10:36:10 AM »

thanks - the web based installer of direct x9.0c worked and it only downloaded the limited DX9 files that it detected that i needed and only installed those - so it worked a treat and now i can actually use that DX9c setting with no issues and it does make a difference in the other skin too ie now i can have a background with a color instead of having a transparent background that leaks through my desktop

many thanks for the fix  :thumbs:

heres a screenshot of the directx 9c settings applied to match the skin on that Xch4nge skin

and i also went through my FLAC files ie some of the albumart wasnt found by album art downloader or they had tiny small low res files - so i basically took photos of the covers from the CD booklets and then cropped these to the size i wanted and also adjusted the color settings etc so now i have all my albumart consistently largish enough to not show any aliasing because its all displayed on a large screen so small blurry pics are not really a great idea for the coverart

some of the covers were damaged but it just gives it a bit of authenticity ie i still have the memory of why that damage occured to the original booklet or cover  ;)

just some examples ie covers that album art downloader or google searches cannot find

the one damaged cover - see the bottom right ..... looks like somebody chewed off one edge  :nutter:

then some local CD's that definitely were not famous internationally

the rockets ... a Cape Town band

a local compilation of famous club tracks from the eighties this is volume 2 of Retro Jams - what im after is the original cover of my volume one is missing even though i have the actual disc ..... does anyone actually have this disc i will appreciate it if they can take a photo of the cover and e-mail it to me if they ever come across it ..... PM me for my e-mail details (thanks in advance for any responses to this request)

Zwai Bala - from TK Zee or related to someone from TK Zee

theres many more covers i photographed but these were just some examples of the more rare covers that you cannot find on the internet ..... i decided if i was going to do the tagging properly for my collection then i may as well do it properly and keep it totally up to date for as many discs as i can  :thumbs:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:00:03 AM by naughty »

Online naughty

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 11:15:54 AM »
heres my current "load shedding" music setup  ;) no need for inverters etc to play the full system

just need a large jackpin to mini-jackpin adapter for my sennheisser HD555's and i need to get a nuprime uDSD DAC to connect in between the tablet and headphones and it will be a pretty decent audiophile type headphone listening setup

okay - the reason why that converter plug was faulty was a bit of dust on the connectors - i cleaned it up and basically now the HD 555 (with 595 mod) work so it sounds a whole lot better than the HD202 which will now go back into the car cubby ie i keep those there so the passengers can use them with tablets and phones or i can use them when im parked and want to use the tablet or phone (cant really wear headphones while driving and im really strict about that)

either way heres some pics of the setup now

the adapter that sounded scratchy but which is now fixed

all connected up

the HD 555 headphones - definitely a lot better than the 202's and while many other headphones are going to sound better i cannot be bothered to upgrade is this is only for emergency and load shedding purposes and not really my main serious listening so these are definitely good enough

the complete rig as it is now .... only need the uDSD now to improve the sound

the Mecer A105 tablet with Foobar2000 running on it

the battery lasts around 3 to 4 hours with music playing and i have some music stored on the micro SD card since im not going to be able to access the network when there is load shedding

Online naughty

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 11:43:18 AM »
and i also totally forgot to mention that i do have a portable headphones amp if the source is too soft or if the headphones impedance is too high to allow it to sound loud enough with certain sources that need lower impedance headphones to work optimally

the Fiio E5 which i rarely use ie i dont keep it fully charged so i need to plan when im going to use it and charge it beforehand

this thing is tiny ie its around the size of half of a credit card jut a wee bit thicker

but obviously this isnt a DAC and all it does is make the headphones louder .... so i would prefer to have the uDSD since that has the potential to actually improve the sound since it can bypass windows drivers and allow a direct output to the DAC device from the playback device