Author Topic: Foobar 2000 - quick and easy skin  (Read 9194 times)

Offline naughty

Foobar 2000 - quick and easy skin
« on: June 23, 2015, 02:52:16 AM »
okay so Foobar 2000 is a pretty ordinary looking computer program so i found this tutorial that makes skinning it a pretty simple job and it explains a lot of techniques you can use when migrating over to some nifty neat skins ie whatever you learn here you can apply to the more advanced skins and use a bit of common sense so you can actually eventually land up with a good looking version of Foobar that you can customize to your hearts content

firstly what you need to do is to browse to this website here and view the videos that this guy has posted ..... there are three video and the first one entails getting started then the second one moves on to file operations and then the third one shows you how to connect your ipod and and import playlists etc and also how to tag using Foobar

heres the link to the guys website :

https://teksyndicate.com/videos/foobar2000-theming-organization-file-operations-etc

what i did to make life easy since you may need to watch these videos more than once is to use a youtube downloader to download these videos to my computer for easy access and reference purposes

now in the first video what he does is to show you how to install Foobar while doing a lot of the manual theming and adjusting and adding components as you install so watch the first video and download the components that he says you need - there are three ..... but if you dont have an ipod then dont bother with the ipod component - just get the lyrics one and the facets one (either way it doesnt harm to still get the ipod one anyway cos its just a small file download  ;) )

he shows you how to go from the standard vanilla foobar configuration that looks something like this

to something like this ..... note i have played around with the colors to make it look a wee bit different to his from the video

Offline naughty

Re: Foobar 2000 - quick and easy skin
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 03:18:23 AM »
now if you already have foobar installed theres a very easy way to get it to look more-or-less like the second picture, so if you have watched the video then just download those components that he asked you to and then unzip those and copy and paste them into the foobar directory by browsing to program files => Foobar 2000 => components and just pasting them there like he shows you to do

then you go back to his homepage and you will find a section that says "Theme files for the lazy" and download that (there are two versions - horizontal is obviously for PCs and vertical is obviously for phones and tablets) - its also a very small file ie something like around 8kb only and if you open Foobar and then doubleclick on that config setup file it is going to do all the work for you and when you restart Foobar it will look exactly how it does in his video

you can then go to file => preferences => display => Default User Interface => colors and fonts, and from there you can then apply different colors according to your taste and preference

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FOOBAR INSTALLED THEN YOU CAN WATCH THE VIDEO AND FOLLOW HIS MANUAL METHOD OF ADJUSTING EVERYTHING AS HE EXPLAINS IT AND ONLY DO THE STEPS THAT YOU WISH TO DO IE I DID IT THE LAZY WAY SO IT CONFIGURES EVERYTHING IN EXACTLY THE WAY THAT HE EXPLAINS IT ..... so i will leave it to him to explain the completely manual way of doing it but effectively if you follow the video you learn how to install the additional components and ways to adjust them so it makes it easier if you wish to attempt more complex skin versions that you can find all over ie like at deviant art ..... there are some that look very good

I still have to load my library but right now im converting all my WAV files to Flac onto a spare drive so i will use the original WAV files as backup and remove that drive from my storage solution and leave it in my cupboard .... then as soon as i have all the Flac files i need on the spare drive im going to make sure thye are tagged properly using MP3Tag and Musicbrainz Picard then im going to get the coverart i need using Album art downloader and im then going to make that drive into my music playback drive and i will then create playlists and point to the files that i want in my library ie that entire drive is just going to be my library

once you have the config exactly how you want it, you can then export this onto a flash drive and then start experimenting with other skins .... and if something goes wrong you can just restore the config from the flash drive ..... you also dont need to install Foobar and do the whole thing again in other computers on your network - if the sharename is the same over the network ie you name your music drive Z://Music for example and have your libraries and playlists already configured then you just copy whats on the flash drive to a folder in the second, and third, and fourth etc machines in the network then place that into program files and then just create shortcuts to foobar2000.exe in the taskbar it will open the program when you double click on the shortcut, and in theory the program should work how it does in the first install you created with exactly identical config settings

OR

you could just do it manually in the other machines too which might be easier if you are not happy troubleshooting problems

none of this is very difficult to do as long as you watch that video first  ;) good luck and happy skinning  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 03:22:53 AM by naughty »

Offline naughty

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 10:55:18 AM »
looking better now that i have done some config changes and also worked on the library

Offline 2wice

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 11:20:55 AM »
I setup mine like so.

Clean, but I see immediately on the spectrum if HD or not.

Offline naughty

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 12:04:27 PM »
that looks great as well  ;) ..... will see if i can add the analyzer somehow

Offline naughty

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 11:08:23 AM »
okay - so the above was a theme and it was more-or less using whatever was already in foobar - so it was just manipulating the default stuff

now i have added a skin - and i still have to learn how to configure the skin properly but heres a screenshot of the skin

theres loads of skins that you can download .... especially from deviant art - im after one of the skins that can make the library selection look like this ie like selecting discs from a bookshelf  :thumbs:

i cannot get the skin that is shown here because the download page for it has disappeared so it was probably an outdated skin for an older version of Foobar but i really would like to find it and make my foobar look like that

anyone else got any interesting skins they would like to share .... i would really like to see what everyone else is using  :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:11:02 AM by naughty »

Offline naughty

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 12:15:56 PM »
okay - getting the hang of some of the plugins and other features - heres the lyrics plug-in at work - look at the left hand side bar

then Foobar also downloads album/artist biographies

and then obviously you want the tag info and metadata

another screenshot of the biographies bit at work - i find this actually fascinating and to be honest i wasnt using foobar to even 1% of its capabilities in the past  :be: oh well .... live and learn

Offline naughty

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 12:40:35 PM »
if you are just going to play an entire album then you can replace all those album lists and lyrics and biographies with some of the visualizations ie heres the spectrum peakmeter

im loving playing around with the skin ...... now if only i could find some (freeware) method of doing the coverflow of the album art then i will probably keep that as my final skin for Foobar

Offline naughty

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 04:59:09 PM »
after all the searching for some type of coverflow it seems like the plug-ins are from 2008 or around that time and apparently they stopped after that because Apple was using coverflow for itunes and they seemed to have purchased the rights to it so everyone else stopped using coverflow altogether  :sd:

but if i want to use coverflow on my PC i need to either use Kodi or itunes - and using Kodi for the music isnt great because it defaults to my 7.1 audio settings that are needed for movies and hence i get my music trying to play in 7.1 unless i change the audio settings each time i use the app

and im now bored of itunes ..... which is why im playing around with foobar  :headbanger:

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 06:04:07 PM »

but if i want to use coverflow on my PC i need to either use Kodi or itunes - and using Kodi for the music isnt great because it defaults to my 7.1 audio settings that are needed for movies and hence i get my music trying to play in 7.1 unless i change the audio settings each time i use the app

with kodi  have you tried bitstream to  your receiver so your receiver automatically detects the stream stereo or 7.1
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline naughty

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 06:10:44 PM »
with kodi  have you tried bitstream to  your receiver so your receiver automatically detects the stream stereo or 7.1

yep - but i obviously have some other setting clashing somewhere because i tried this once and then never bothered with it again since itunes and foobar seemed to do a decent job with music - will try again since i like how kodi is setup in terms of the default skin

Offline naughty

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 06:39:15 PM »
will try to see if i can get Kodi right because the "showcase" setting on the Aeon nox skin is close to the coverflow that i want .... and if it bitstreams from either Kodi or Foobar the sound quality should remain the same since its being output from the same PC .... and its just a passthrough of digital bits  ;)

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 08:02:45 PM »
will try to see if i can get Kodi right because the "showcase" setting on the Aeon nox skin is close to the coverflow that i want .... and if it bitstreams from either Kodi or Foobar the sound quality should remain the same since its being output from the same PC .... and its just a passthrough of digital bits  ;)

Bitstream from kodi works very well.
Then set Bitstream device to your receiver..
You shouldn't have a problem
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 09:36:59 PM »
yep - but i obviously have some other setting clashing somewhere because i tried this once and then never bothered with it again since itunes and foobar seemed to do a decent job with music - will try again since i like how kodi is setup in terms of the default skin

Under audio output deactivate stereo upmix and it will play stereo in 2ch
Marantz AV8801|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and 685|Harman Kardon BDT30|Optoma HD25E projector| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver

Offline naughty

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 01:15:06 AM »
Under audio output deactivate stereo upmix and it will play stereo in 2ch

its deactivated .... and i have it set to bitstream - the problem was probably elsewhere (maybe in the driver settings) but im not stressed to really bother too much because foobar and itunes have EQ which i like to tinker with  :thumbs: so if i use one program for music and another for movies it doesnt harm me at all