single vs 3 phase electricity

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerry

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Would really appreciate some help on this one.

In the process of buying a property. Not sure why I got myself into this one, but anyway...

Its actually a conversion of a very old house with the electrical installation looking extremely dodgy. Even i know it should not resemble the back of my equipment rack. Electrician nr1 (my guy) states I need a 3 phase installation, because of the 2 flatlets/cottages separate/freestanding from the main dwelling. Cost of the upgrade +-R15k.

As per standard contract, the seller must provide the electr. compliance certificate, obviously not keen on the additional spend, gets his own sparkie to issue certificate stating single phase is adequate and everything is cool. Seller has been trying to screw us over from all angles (e.g. the old story of removal of fittings and fixtures stipulated o be included in the deal, stating stuff is in working order when its clearly not, outstanding rates/taxes/utilities, etc) so there are some serious trust issues here.

Where do I go from here, do I get a third opinion and go with the best out of 3? Or will single phase cope on condition that the basics are sound and we dont take-up welding as a hobby?

Thanks.