Outsurance - amazing experience (but not a recommendation)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
One of my (alarm system) customers' gate motor stopped working in January.  She called Outsurance who sent their own techie along. In short order he told her the motor was "blown" and she would need a new one, at R6500 and her excess was R1500.  So she called me to assist.  One look inside the gate motor showed the battery's negative terminal completely corroded away.  I fitted a new battery and connector and the motor was as good as new

So I submitted an itemised invoice for R600,00 to Outsurance and followed it up with calls and emails.  No response whatever.  On Monday I called them and said it is 6 months now, the next step is Sunday Times Consumer Watch, or the Small Claims Court, or both.  On Wed, "Phillie?" called me and tells me he is the assessor.  He says "we do not pay for after-hours call-outs".  But I told him, it was daytime when I was there and if he is unsure, he can always call their insured.  No he says, it is shown on your invoice, which states "1 x 7 after hours battery".  After recovering from the surprise, I told him that A/H stands for Amp-Hours, not After Hours. No he said, he had never heard of this and it must be After Hours.  I asked him if he had possibly heard of volts and amps and electricity, whereupon he said "you white people are so clever"

Not wishing to waste more breath on such an idiot, I managed to speak to his supervisor who did not seem at all surprised that one of her staff should be so ill-informed