Introduce myself and need some advice on old NAD kit

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alastpa12

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm new to this forum. I've been scratching around on here for the last few days and decided it was about time to make myself known. Bit about myself.....I'm Alasdair, I'm an enterprise solutions architect for one of the major mobile networks and I'm a keen Alfisti and amateur hifi enthusiast.

As the heading says I'm looking for some advice and possibly some spares and kit if possible.

I've inherited an old NAD system from my old man. It's basically sound but needs some TLC to bring it back to glorious life. It consists of a 3020 Series 20 amplifier, 4020B tuner and a 6040A tape deck. The two main problems with the system are firstly that the 4020B has some ugly cosmetic damage. A certain someone (no names mentioned) knocked over a lamp onto it and the bulb melted part of the faceplate. I'd REALLY like to either replace the faceplate/bezel or source a replacement 4020. Has anyone got one they'd like to part with or some spares lying around?

The 3020 works but the volume control is very intermittent. I'm assuming that the rheostat has a dry joint or two. Where can one get this professionally repaired in the Gauteng area?

Lastly the speakers (a nice pair of AR bookshelf's) went missing in a recent house move  :'( I'm looking to buy some replacement speakers but I've got NO idea what's the best match for the 3020.  I liked the look of a pair of B&W's ( I can't recall the model) but it looks like they may not be the best match. Can anyone offer any advice as to what to get? I'll also need to get hold of speaker cable to connect them up, again can anyone offer any advice? Ideally I'd like to set my budget at no more than R8k for the speakers. Is this realistic?

Any help would be much appreciated