Author Topic: Setting up Free to Air?  (Read 19979 times)

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Setting up Free to Air?
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2016, 06:54:26 AM »
NO why not get a quad Lnb
is the other decoder an explora ?

Running extra cable is not an option.
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline scrarfussi

• AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2016, 04:37:42 PM »
if you explain your installation . I can try and help you
multiswitch ??
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline BobsYourUncle

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2016, 05:01:02 PM »
Had 2 cables coming into my unit which was fine, could run dstv and ovhd together. But the 2nd cable coming in is now re-assigned to a heart beat cable which goes to my neighbours unit for extraview ( we are garden cottages on the same premises.
I was hoping that with just that one cable that comes in, there is a way to run the one cable to a unicable lnb then to my ovhd lnb input, from the ovhd lnb output then to my dstv input. That way the different polarisation wouldn't be an issue. From what Ive read, this cannot be done though. A multiswitch wont work as I still have the issue of only one cable coming in from an lnb.

The simply solution would be to just ad another cable, but that is not possible here, I am unable to get the permission to do so. Besides , it would have to be surface cable from outside, into my kitchen, then through the wall into my lounge. That has already been done with the 2 cables that come in, but they have been cemented into the plaster so are barely visible. There is no direct way into my lounge unless I run surface cable in my bedroom to which I could then go into the lounge and quite low down, but to make this possible, there would then be surface cable outside along the wall, which I wont get permission for.

Unless of coarse there were such thing as a multiswitch that can take a unicable input and have legacy outputs, That would solve all my problems, but it would seem that such a device does not exist. Unless you know of one and can point me in the right direction, Id be most greatful. The only ones I can find are 4 legacy inputs that create 2 smart outputs and a few legacy outputs.

Regards,
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 05:09:10 PM by BobsYourUncle »
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline scrarfussi

• AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2016, 11:36:10 PM »
Does your neighbor have their own dish and Lnb?
When you say reassigned was it coming from your dish before?
If so could try a multiswitch with diplexers for heart beat

So  you take the heart beat cable and 2nd feed from satellite.  Put into a diplexer which gives you one cable which comes down.  So the dual feed then  1st cable straight into multiswitch.  And 2nd cable (one linked to diplexer)
You put a splitter 
Then one feed into multiswitch
And other feed into heart beat port
I have tested heartbeat with DIPLEXERS IT works
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline BobsYourUncle

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2016, 08:02:12 AM »
Does your neighbor have their own dish and Lnb?- We share a dish with a quad LNB
When you say reassigned was it coming from your dish before? -Yes it was - We each had 2 cables from the dish to our units. I have joined my 2nd cable and her 2nd cable for the heart beat and then plugged into her rf out and my rf in so now we each have a single cable going into our units with both of our 2nd cables doing the extraview link
If so could try a multiswitch with diplexers for heart beat

So  you take the heart beat cable and 2nd feed from satellite.  Put into a diplexer which gives you one cable which comes down.  So the dual feed then  1st cable straight into multiswitch.  And 2nd cable (one linked to diplexer)
You put a splitter 
Then one feed into multiswitch
And other feed into heart beat port
I have tested heartbeat with DIPLEXERS IT works  - I will try that and let you know - Thanks
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2016, 02:12:29 PM »
Chances are they won't have stock. But normal price is R399 now, so not such a big deal if they are sold out. Pick 'n Pay Hypers also now stock them.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Adagio

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • "Keep your coins, I want Change"
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2016, 04:36:27 PM »
Chances are they won't have stock. But normal price is R399 now, so not such a big deal if they are sold out. Pick 'n Pay Hypers also now stock them.

-F_D

The local Game was sold out at 14:00, so asked them to phone Century City and they had. >> :) (what a Mad House.  :nutter:)

Look like quite decent units hardware wise, as I see the OEM unit is actually manufactured by Cisco.

Online JonnyP

• Gear Slutē
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2016, 09:09:48 PM »
OK, complete Dumbo here.  There is a dish which used to do DSTV with a connection.  Channels I would like are France24 (English and/or French), any other news channels (pref BBC/Al Jaz), and any other free channels that are in French/English or at a push German.  Any suggestions?
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2016, 09:20:16 PM »
Intelsat satellite (the DSTV one) used to show France24 in English and also Al Jazeera, don't know if it still does. I removed the FTA decoder because it was not providing me with stereo feed when listening to LM. I now use an OVHD decoder which only allows the Open View channels.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline BobsYourUncle

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2016, 09:21:58 PM »
Not on the satellite that dish is pointed to. Try 16e or 4.9e. 16 e will have a lot of French channels and f24 French. 4.9e has DW, f24 eng and French. Lyngsat.com is your friend here when seeing what channels are where.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 09:24:15 PM by BobsYourUncle »
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP