Author Topic: Setting up Free to Air?  (Read 18042 times)

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
Re: Setting up Free to Air?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 08:03:26 PM »
Good to know, thanks!

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Bernard

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Stereo .... what stereo ?
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 09:59:44 PM »
This one?

HDMI TO VGA ADAPTER

Are you currently listening to Mark Williams? Good stuff!

Yip ...... LM has been on since I got it all working this afternoon :) I even went to look at their history site and found a sticker sheet similar to what I used to have. My folks little portable was covered in those red triangles !!

That adapter was what I found first but then I found the HDMI <--> DVI adapter. I thought the DVI would be better, not sure. Was going to ask the guys in the shop for their comments.

If you have another dish, how do you set it up to work with the decoder ? Can we get some sort of switch box ? We still have our original dish in the bush. It's about 20 years old but in good nick. It's a bit overgrown and needs a new LNB as well but all the cabling is underground and still there. Can maybe point it somewhere else. At the moment it's pointing into my neighbour's diningroom window as they are at the same height. He's been upset since day 1 but he actually built his house over his boundary on our property :) :)

-F_D

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 06:48:25 AM »
You are using the Astra satellite (5E). You can also use the DSTV satellite which is 68.5E, your neighbour might find that less distracting. The instructions on how to tune the OVHD decoder on this satellite are on Open View's website, alternatively I can send them to you. I had to do this as I have a massive tree directly in the path of my dish and the Astra satellite.

-F_D

-Eric

Offline Bernard

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 11:37:18 AM »
You are using the Astra satellite (5E). You can also use the DSTV satellite which is 68.5E, your neighbour might find that less distracting. The instructions on how to tune the OVHD decoder on this satellite are on Open View's website, alternatively I can send them to you. I had to do this as I have a massive tree directly in the path of my dish and the Astra satellite.

-F_D

F_D... What does the 5E and 68,5E actually mean ?  Are they compass bearings or vertical degrees and  facing East ? I know it sounds dof :) ) I've download an app, Satellite Director to help find "them things".

Any idea where one would go to try and find satellites which have free viewing for our segment of the galaxy.

Am picking up that DVI <--> HDMI from Matrix in George tomorrow. 1,8m @ R120.

Online BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 12:31:50 PM »
www.lyngsat.com
I use that site to see what is available on FTA. Perhaps this might be of some use to you?
Select "Europe"when selecting sattelite list. It gives you the geographical direction , how many degrees you need to tilt the dish and the skew of the LNB. It helps allot , I then use the sat meter to do the exact tuning.( I have a cheapie).
There is also a site where it actually shows you what direction the dish should be using sattelite images of you area etc. The name escapes me though   
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 01:39:02 PM »
The 5E etc are purely the degrees off True North, in other words in this case compass direction 355. Also, if you have a smart phone, there are various Sat-Finder apps, some free, that could be of assistance in setting up the dish.

-F_D

-Eric

Offline Bernard

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 03:25:44 PM »
Just for reference...... a decoder's HDMI Out to a PC monitor's DVI In will not work. I plugged in the cable and was met by "No Signal" on the monitor. ( monitor works on PC )  A call to Ellies also confirmed that, but he didn't sound too sure.

I phoned various pawn shops around George and Mossel Bay etc for a 2nd hand LED TV of around 19" but nada :( All of them assured me that they do come in often.

Big is nice but there is absolutely no space for a TV....let alone a big one !!

Online BobsYourUncle

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 04:16:02 PM »
Ive got my fta decoders to work with a hdmi to dvi converter. Will check if i can get the ovhd to do the same.
I bought a hdmi to vga and audio adapter fro r200 odd incl shipping from cpt from a co called hifi suplly or something recently, cant really remember the name
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline Bernard

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 04:52:09 PM »
Ive got my fta decoders to work with a hdmi to dvi converter. Will check if i can get the ovhd to do the same.
I bought a hdmi to vga and audio adapter fro r200 odd incl shipping from cpt from a co called hifi suplly or something recently, cant really remember the name

Thanks BYU, I'll appreciate that exercise. The cable I bought has a DVI on one end and a HDMI on the other. Thought I could just plug them in straight..... NOT :)  You guess the connection should be..... OVHD HDMI OUT  ----> HDMI / VGA Converter ---> PC Monitor ?

http://matrixonlineshop.co.za/components/adaptors/hdmi/hdmi-to-vga-adapter/

Also found this at Matrix..HDMI --->VGA ?? I know Matrix will exchange my new cable if the adapter will work.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:05:36 PM by Bernard »

Offline Bernard

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 01:01:46 PM »
Nope. PC monitor will not work with OVHD. Matrix exchanged the cable for a converter ( R90 extra) but the monitor indicated it wasn't happy with the format.

Looks like a smallish 2nd hand LED TV is on the cards for the future.

Online BobsYourUncle

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2015, 01:20:30 PM »
a vga converter? My ovhd works fine through a vga convertor and dvi conveter
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:24:29 PM by BobsYourUncle »
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline Bernard

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2015, 01:28:34 PM »
a vga converter? My ovhd works fine through a vga convertor

Do you perhaps have some more info on that vga converter......maybe a photo ? :)

Online scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2015, 03:04:42 PM »
what about audio
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline Bernard

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2015, 03:59:15 PM »
what about audio

I have the L & R RCA outs from the decoder straight into the AUX 2 L & R RCAs of the Rotel amp.

Then I just have the yellow video RCA Out from the OVHD into the mini B&W 12v portable TV ( Cathode ) Horrible little thing :) :) but it's ok for setting up and tuning the OVHD.

I cleaned all the lichen and everything else off the dish a few minutes ago. Was surprised that the signal / quality changed. I re-tweaked everything again....took my time as well.

I got the signal up to 90% and the quality dropped to 86%. I even went so far as to move the LNB backwards and forwards as well as rotating it but could not improve those figures.

After a few F words I realised it may be due to the storm brewing. It is totally overcast with a bit of drizzle.

( Kit was under a waterproof cover ) I'm not going to phaff too much with it now as LM is pretty good and enjoyable..... the LED TV will arrive when it arrives :) ... no money for that now. TV would have been a "nice to have" feature :)

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2015, 04:45:13 PM »
P'nP Hyper used to sell the little AIM LED TV, (12" IIRC) with HDMI. I bought a couple years ago when they first appeared, gave one away and kept the other. They then sold them out at R750 or something stupid, I could have kicked myself for not jumping in and buying some more. They are very versatile and absolutely ideal for the decoders in any mode imaginable. They feature RGB, HDMI, Composite Video inputs and of course AV/TV capable, running off 12v DC.

-F_D

-Eric