Can an OPT be too good? (ASL Monsoon)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ampdog

R.I.P. 23 June 2022
Reaction score
I have an 'Antique Audio Lab' "Monsoon" monoblock on my table for checking. Four X KT88 output etc.

Being naturally inquisitive, I took the cover off the output transformer (OPT) to see what gives inside this time. Nice looking; winding former not full, thicker wire gauge could thus have been used (lower losses). Two halves side-by-side for equal dc winding resistances for the two primary sides (like the original Williamson).

Then I measured the main statistics: Inductance at 5V 50Hz: 100Hy.  Leakage reactance at 1kHz: 1,9mHy.

Hey? I checked the frequency response under the operating conditions into a 15 ohm resistive load.  Output -3dB points at 8Hz and 460kHz!! A slight but sharp peak at 550kHz. Response of the whole  amplifier: 12Hz - 150kHz ... without any NFB. (The amplifier is a zero NFB job.)

I am now, after a slight change in the circuit, adding a modest amount of NFB to get the quoted 3% distortion down. I have quite a problem to get rid of instability at 550kHz above about 18dB NFB! And this is a valve amplifier.....

This must be the best OPT that I have ever encountered - and that includes some. It is an about 150W job, UL, E-I core.

Apart from this, has anybody experience of this amplifier? 

Latest posts