In The Center Venter - Subwoofer Placement Question

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalith

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Has anybody ever tried a center subwoofer placement in their Home Theater config ?

I know the conventional subwoofer placement is to the side of the floorstanders ,Left or right corner of room or to the middle of the side of the room.
In a discussion with one of the forumites we chatted about building a Home theater TV stand setup on top\over the subs as a means to maximize space in smaller townhouses.

You could build a 1.2 meter long Plasma stand and the 2 x 40cm 15 Inch subs could sit on the left and right corners of the TV stand frame. On the first shelve you can have your amps etc... and the second shelve could have the TV. The subs are sealed Monitor Audio units.

Does anybody have some experience or thoughts around this slightly crazy concept ? What are the thing i need to be aware of or think about ?
The thoughts\concerns i have is whether the subs will drown out the Center speaker and possibly a boomy sound from the subwoofer. Also would there be any damage to running the amps if there is some vibrations that get translated from the subs into the TV stand frame and from there onto the the subs ?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated :)