Kef LS50 - Sidegrade or upgrade?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antman

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have the Kef LS50's for around a year now - listened in a smaller room intitially but have since moved house.

Lounge is around 4.5m x 6m - speakers on the 6m Wall, fairly bright room acoustically.

I am at the stage where I find them fatiguing to listen to - too bright on the top end and way too light on the bottom end. Have tried lots of soft furnishings but they don't really seem to alter the sound much.

Driving them off a NAD C356BEE 85w RMS (they are a little difficult to drive, but I dont listen that loud and amp seems to cope), source is Mac Mini going through Pro-ject USB dac, as well as a NAD CD player.

Went in to Audiovision in Willowbridge last weekend and demoed some kit.

Kef R500's - a little too much bass almost washed over the music - being played off a Primare I22,

Klipsch RP260's - dull and lifeless - played off a NAD C372

Tried the Primare with Kef LS50's and they sounded awesome - of course in their well treated demo room...

So trying to figure the best route to go, would like more bass (but well controlled not flabby or overblown) as well as maybe slightly rolled off highs.

Wondering what else is available to demo in CPT? Not too many shops left!

The NAD C356BEE amp I have is quite boisterous and forward, so may be a lot of the problem, but why it is not giving enough bass is odd - I have heard demo systems provide plenty?

Really looking which way to go - budget is R25-30k (Bonus next month so annual upgrade :) )

Any advice appreciated,

Cheers

Anthony

Latest posts