Author Topic: Food for men. What do you make well?  (Read 14391 times)

Offline rodga

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
Re: Food for men. What do you make well?
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2013, 05:51:12 PM »
Cheese on toast:

-Toast your bread on one side under a grill
-Turn it over, spread a thin layer of tomato sauce (really this is key)
-Layer on some cheese
-Season (oregano and thyme go well)
-Stick it back under the grill till it melts

Everyone pulls a face at the tomato sauce but they change when they taste it...
ah the classic poor mans pizza recipe
I love it, top with some mushrooms next time  :thumbs:

Online kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2013, 06:37:20 PM »
I'm basically only decent at making breakfast. Unfortunately my wife nominated me on New Years day to make breakfast for everyone, when I was suffering from a huge hangover. Very relieved nobody got killed from food poisoning that day. Apart from that I'm only good for making french fries, pizza, braai-ing stuff and toasted samies. Still wonder to this day how I got through varsity without killing myself through systemic food poisoning? :whistler:

Online adie

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • Travelogue.tv
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2013, 11:13:51 PM »

or http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh578/aidsyabitch/MancookFeb19_zps8380251a.jpg

The curry works well with fish and soya, though a packet of soya chunks requires a second tin of coconut milk.

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2013, 11:17:54 PM »
Cheese on toast:

-Layer on some cheese

next time instead of the Tomato sauce - try to use some mayo instead - its a great alternative ie the grilled cheese spread over mayo is also an interesting flavor

Online adie

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • Travelogue.tv
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2013, 11:31:03 PM »
To a pot of boiling water add a couple of tins of condensed milk.
2 hours makes ok caramel
3 hours makes fantastic caramel
Remember to top up with boiling water
Eat too much and you'll discover that caramel can work as a laxative.... (so I'm told :giggle:)

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »
Toasted cheese, tomato and onion sandwiches on the braai. Last Saturday I did a fresh snoek, open on foil on the coals. Mixed apricot jam and freshly ground garlic to brush on. It was totally demolished.

I also do the snoek without tin foil these days. With a devilish mix of jam, garlic, butter and lemon juice. Too bad snoek is a bit rare up north.

Cheese on toast:

-Layer on some cheese

I like mine with chutney. I'll give the tomato sauce a go as well!

I've taken to only using a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice with my meat when having a braai. And a bit of good braai spice, if I have, otherwise just salt. It works equally well with almost any meat. For lamb I grab a handful of fresh rosemary as well.

Chicken I like quite smokey, so I do that on the kettle braai with lots of closed time. The thing is to take your time. I put all the heat in the middle and pack the chicken around it, not on direct heat. The skin gets all crispy.... :rubhands:
It's only hifi people....

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth.
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2013, 12:29:50 AM »
Oven-grilled (NOT fire!)* self-caught huistoegaan vis aka white stumpnose or galjoen. Thoroughly cleaned, gills removed, tails off and rinsed.

Method: Fishes to be vlekked from the back. Sprinkle liberally with mixed herbs inside and out. Place a couple of cubes of butter inside, together with a fair amount of crushed garlic and a light sprinkling of black pepper and a bit of lemon juice over the whole shebang.

Pre-heat stove oven to medium heat and place fishes in a large stainless oven pan wiped with more butter but not too much.

Grill for maybe 15 to 20 minutes and turn fishes over for side 2 (you can read where I come from, hehe).

Once fishes are done, turn heat up to almost max and grill for only a very few minutes until skin becomes crackly.

During these shenanigans, you have to watch your catch and the oven time carefully to ensure you don't over cook or burn.

Serve with chilled Theuniskraal or Twee Jongegesellen, salad and wholewheat rolls.

No-one taught me this method of grilling fish. Being born and bred in Corleone near Palermo, it becomes second nature when 6 guns are pointing at your head. As for the local flavour in the recipe, I emigrated here in 1980 as half Corleone's bosses were gunning for me after messing with their girlfriends. Ask Provenzano or Bruschetto.

mafioso

*) I prefer grilling fish in an oven as the heat is more controllable. All else, I grill or braai outside on my braai gear.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:57:07 AM by mafioso »
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Account Locked
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • R.I.P. August 2020
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2015, 10:38:01 PM »
Bump for a transfer to the new recipe board please mods - some nice ones in this thread. :thumbs: