Author Topic: The Whisky thread  (Read 186377 times)

Offline GoodEnoughGear

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: The Whisky thread
« Reply #735 on: September 29, 2021, 06:45:06 PM »
This also looks promising, but I do not want a sweaty at this time. Anybody tasted it yet?
Bunnahabhain Islay single malt 12yo
The Bunnahabhain 12 is lovely, I can vouch for that. What do you mean by a 'sweaty'...smoky killed by autocorrect? If so, no, this is not smoky.

If you are willing to stretch, the 18 is something truly special (to my taste)  :2thumbs:.
Mobile: LG V60, CA Andromeda
Portable: LH Labs GO2A SE, KEF M500
Home: Soekris DAC2541, Genelec 8030+7050, MHA100, HD600

Offline Kshah

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #736 on: September 29, 2021, 09:37:01 PM »
@LouisF try Port Charlotte heavily peated whisky... Made by the Bruichladdich distillery... AFAIK Its their 2nd cheapest whisky... One of my favourites

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Shah

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #737 on: September 29, 2021, 10:02:08 PM »
Currently on a Benriach 12 yo, This one taste of raisins. Not particularly fond of the first sip, but it grows on you.

Others I've sampled recently,

Three Ships 10 yo (quite good and interesting whisky, nice balance of peatiness)
Aardbeg 10 yo (lovely smokiness and a bit of iodine, quite like this one, less intense than Laphroiag, but not as opulent as Lagavulin)
Bowmore 10 yo (this one had citrussy flavours, but was a bit bland)

For an Irish whisky I tried the Red Breast 12 yo. Also very interesting, a bit more sherry like with a hint of ginger and toffee. Interesting if you are looking for a bit of an alternative to usual.

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #738 on: October 02, 2021, 10:20:24 AM »
The Bunnahabhain 12 is lovely, I can vouch for that. What do you mean by a 'sweaty'...smoky killed by autocorrect? If so, no, this is not smoky.

If you are willing to stretch, the 18 is something truly special (to my taste)  :2thumbs:.

"Sweaty"  should have been "sweety", little wonder my meaning was unclear. Anyway, sweety is like Tullamore DEW and Jameson, for instance. Famous Grouse Smoky Black is less sweet and Jura Prophecy to my taste even slightly less so.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

"Modern hi-fi is little more than a way of getting electricity to pretend that it's music."
Art Dudley, Stereophile

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #739 on: October 02, 2021, 10:27:05 AM »
@LouisF try Port Charlotte heavily peated whisky... Made by the Bruichladdich distillery... AFAIK Its their 2nd cheapest whisky... One of my favourites

This pricing is to my mind quite ridiculous:
https://www.ngf.co.za/products/bruichladdich-port-charlotte-10yr-2-glasses

while it can be had for this: 
https://www.ngf.co.za/products/bruichladdich-port-charlotte-750ml-x1?currency=ZAR&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=gs-2020-10-16&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAjwhuCKBhADEiwA1HegOWa8RIzZ2AZ2UsnQS7S8C0X6nQJKWz1lA4Sk_AQF-G2SyDHfMIfIShoC8eIQAvD_BwE
from the same vendor.

Cannot imagine what those two glasses have to be manufactured from to kost more than R3k apiece.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

"Modern hi-fi is little more than a way of getting electricity to pretend that it's music."
Art Dudley, Stereophile

Offline GoodEnoughGear

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #740 on: October 02, 2021, 05:26:38 PM »
"Sweaty"  should have been "sweety", little wonder my meaning was unclear. Anyway, sweety is like Tullamore DEW and Jameson, for instance. Famous Grouse Smoky Black is less sweet and Jura Prophecy to my taste even slightly less so.

Go try a Caol Ila 12, if you are in the mood for peatiness. It's straight up peated scotch with no distractions, and is absolutely bloody excellent.
Mobile: LG V60, CA Andromeda
Portable: LH Labs GO2A SE, KEF M500
Home: Soekris DAC2541, Genelec 8030+7050, MHA100, HD600

Offline Kshah

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #741 on: October 03, 2021, 07:13:06 AM »

This pricing is to my mind quite ridiculous:
https://www.ngf.co.za/products/bruichladdich-port-charlotte-10yr-2-glasses

OMW... I'm sure it's a mistake... these gift sets used to go for about 1200.00 mark pre-covid

Shah