Author Topic: Doc Viljoen  (Read 5379 times)

Offline JohnnyIC

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
Re: Doc Viljoen
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2017, 07:23:12 PM »
The mk3 has no platter mat . What you are missing is the blue subplatter that is crucial to the operation of the table. Although functionally different from the top platter of the Thorens 124 the Mk3's top platter has a similar purpose
Ah I see.. shouldn't be too difficult to get one made up? If you don't mind could you take a few pictures of yours when you have time?  :pray:

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Toybox
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2017, 07:31:21 PM »
I was too lazy to make a curved arm....

The platter needs an aluminium or acrylic disc, with cork dots underneath and rubber dots on top

Offline Agaton Sax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2017, 09:19:23 PM »
Steerpike built his own top platter. He will be able to provide more info than I can.

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Toybox
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2017, 10:40:46 PM »
Steerpike built his own top platter. He will be able to provide more info than I can.

It was a sheet of 2.5mm aluminium, crudely cut to an octagon. I made a jig so that my angle grinder was mounted in the right position halfway through a sheet of sturdy MDF board. Then the aluminium was screwed to the same board, with a single tighly fitting screw, so it could be slowly rotated against the grinding disc, thus trimming it to a fairly perfect circle.

Size is quite critical, since it must fit neatly into the bezzle around the platter, without scraping, but also with enough metal on the lip to sit firmly and uniformly when it is parked.

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth.
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2017, 10:02:27 AM »
Regarding Agaton Sax's replica Grace arm - I forgot to acknowledge Steerpike's tip from a few moons ago about how to reduce the mass of ordinary 10mm dia aluminium tube to original specifications.

It is a tedious process but it worked and I have made a few replica armwands using caustic soda.

If anyone wants to know how to do this, I will post details in DIY.

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline JohnnyIC

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2017, 06:24:50 PM »
Looks like mine is number 288: