Author Topic: Doc Viljoen  (Read 3649 times)

Offline skollie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
Re: Doc Viljoen
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 10:53:38 AM »
Will do.

It is just inexplicable that the good doc appeared to have been an unsung prophet in his own country. To design a turntable of this complexity must have required considerable perseverance, technical knowhow, resources as well as collaboration from others.

I obviously don't know much about broadcast/transcription turntables other than looking at internet pics and following occasional forum threads.

Some years ago, there was a thread on VE about an Australian 'broadcast' idler turntable being restored. It was a kind of egg-shaped affair and if one compares from what I could see about its construction, this was a very simple design compared to the Doc Viljoen's complexities.

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
    • Toybox
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 11:33:04 AM »
It is just inexplicable that the good doc appeared to have been an unsung prophet in his own country.

We had many!
Particularly in military electronics /communications, and the goings on at Pelindaba.
Even Escom (note  spelling) also had some very advanced research going on.

I have not been up the Albert Hertzog(*) tower, but someone who worked on it told me that it breaks several 'rules' of transmitter theory. When it was built, the overseas consultants said it could not be made to work with the number of transmitters and antennae the SABC wanted. But they did it.

(*) the one in Brixton JHB, that sentech have defiled with their grotesque logo about 10m high.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:39:21 AM by Steerpike »

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 01:47:33 PM »
Thanks for the kind reply, Steerpike. All of this makes fascinating reading.

Regds

skollie

PS There was a bakkie smash along my street yesterday and I salvaged some amber acrylic bits. They are of course of irregular shape so I will have to first 'dress' the thickest piece before I can fit it into my lathe's headstock chuck and make you the widget for the SCA35. I will send a PM when done - maybe tomorrow.

Now that is recycling of the highest order :pleasant:

Offline skollie

• AVForums Veteran
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 02:49:45 PM »
Now that is recycling of the highest order :pleasant:

You'll be amazed at what I've done and can be done with 'debris' picked-up on the street. For example my ripped-off Orsonic headshell's fingerlift was made from a small piece of stainless steel lamppole strapping. I have 25 rackmount parts trays filled to the brim with bolts and nuts off the street. My large Electrolux cylinder workshop vac was picked-up on the street. All that was wrong was its ac cable which had twisted and shorted where it enters the machine. Much of my garden's pop-up irrigation sprayers were picked up courtesy of vandalising vagrants who can't keep their paws off the things.

Even offcut electric fence wire left on payments by litterbug installers have found a multitude of uses.

And so on and so forth... :)

skollie

Offline JohnnyIC

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 01:36:18 PM »
Sorry for digging up an old post but I bought one of these today at auction and trying to find as much info about it as possible. I'm only going to be able to collect it on Monday because it's too big to fit into my car. At first I wasn't sure what it was but Andre was kind enough to point out that it was a "Doc Viljoen" after seeing a pic I posted on FB.

Offline Agaton Sax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »
Yes SABC Mk 3 but the first one I have seen with a Lenco arm. Most had Grace  arms. Could this explain why the alignment with the Grace arms is off as the Doc Viljoens were actually designed for Lenco arms?

As an aside  Andre Hanekom skimmed my Doc's idler wheels and Croak  supplied an Acromat in the perfect shade of blue. I spent last night listening to the Doc again but now with a stereo cartridge. It really is a fantastic sounding table

Offline skollie

• AVForums Veteran
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 04:36:51 PM »
I can't think of a hobby, past time or passion which render so many skills, ingenuity or plain perseverance than audio in all its iterations. There are probably many other body and soul 'enrichments' I can't think of or mention right now as my dachshund is distracting me with its lead in its mouth ;D

skollie

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
  • It's all about the music, really...
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 06:38:37 PM »
Sorry for digging up an old post but I bought one of these today at auction and trying to find as much info about it as possible. I'm only going to be able to collect it on Monday because it's too big to fit into my car. At first I wasn't sure what it was but Andre was kind enough to point out that it was a "Doc Viljoen" after seeing a pic I posted on FB.

That's a great find!  :thumbs:
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline vinyljan

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 07:21:10 AM »
That's a great find!  :thumbs:

Hope too see a detailed topic on this soon  :popcorn:, where did you "find" it?
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline JohnnyIC

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2017, 08:01:16 AM »
Hope too see a detailed topic on this soon  :popcorn:, where did you "find" it?
At one of the auctions here in Bloem, it was sitting outside and I only spotted it as I was making my way back to my car. No idea where they got it from, probably came out of a SABC storeroom or something. The auctioneer had no idea what it was, called it a "DJ box"  :giggle:

Offline Agaton Sax

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2017, 08:36:53 AM »

Offline Agaton Sax

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2017, 09:06:16 AM »
All photos gone from the link. Maybe these will serve as some inspiration?
mDqCwqBh by jdza, on Flickr
yWCCKWih by jdza, on Flickr

4uxjbBPh by jdza, on Flickr

IMG_0241 by jdza, on Flickr

IMG_0329 by jdza, on Flickr
IMG_0317 by jdza, on Flickr

Offline skollie

• AVForums Veteran
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2017, 11:11:34 AM »
Errr...I like that arm ;D Replica Grace wand made with a pipe bender from Adendorff, mass-adjusted with caustic soda from P'nP and a replacement coupler from alternativeroute, as were the internal salvaged armwires.

I think Doc Viljoen will be smiling a benign and complimentary smile from wherever he now resides.

skollie

Offline JohnnyIC

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2017, 05:18:57 PM »
Thanks Agaton Sax, that will help a lot. The one I bought appears to be complete except for the missing headshell and platter mat. Hopefully all the insides are present and in working condition.

Offline Agaton Sax

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2017, 05:40:40 PM »
Thanks Agaton Sax, that will help a lot. The one I bought appears to be complete except for the missing headshell and platter mat. Hopefully all the insides are present and in working condition.

The mk3 has no platter mat . What you are missing is the blue subplatter that is crucial to the operation of the table. Although functionally different from the top platter of the Thorens 124 the Mk3's top platter has a similar purpose