Author Topic: Help to format Samsung G2 Portable HX-MU064DC 640GB External Hard Drive Please  (Read 1135 times)

Offline PAPPA3

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Nakamichi Banana Plugs On Order. Spades in Stock
Can anybody help please?  I erased all the data from my Samsung G2 Portable HX-MU064DC 640GB External Hard Drive, including the drivers by accident. 

Now when I plug it in, it says it needs to be formatted before I can use it.  I try to format it, but it won't happen.  it just stalls indefinitely.  Any advice?

Offline zer0

Did you use the Windows Disk Management tool?

Offline PAPPA3

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Nakamichi Banana Plugs On Order. Spades in Stock
Did you use the Windows Disk Management tool?

I'm clueless when it comes to PCs.  Where would I find that?

Online naughty

I'm clueless when it comes to PCs.  Where would I find that?

what operating system do you have?

usually you would go into control panel > administrative tools > computer management > storage > disk management snap-in

BUT if you have Win 7 then a useful shortcut is the start button then right click on "computer" then click on "manage" and it takes you to the storage window directly, and from there you will find the disk management snap-in

while you are using the snap in make sure you disconnect all other drives or take note of the drive volume labels and capacities to ensure that you are trying to format the correct drive ..... right clicking on the desired drive will present you with the options you need, and you could probably figure out how to do it .... or get hold of a buddy who is fully conversant with windows to help you then share a pint with him when you finish  :dop:

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
The above is the correct advice

If your main drive is not partitioned, it will be C:.  Your DVD drive will be D: and as long as you don't have any USB sticks in, that will be the last drive letter
When in Disk Management, you will see the external disc as a drive without a letter so right-click on it and choose Format.  If this is denied, then choose New Simple Volume, then Format it and allocate a drive letter (use the one offered)
If the partition is still present on the external drive, it will have a drive letter (probably E or F) and can just be formatted.  Choose quick format or you will be there a long time

The New volume writes a partition to the drive and Formatting it makes it ready to use
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Online naughty

one last thing - sometimes it is better to delete the volume and recreate it (reinitialise) and then do the format - this might just be what you need to do since it doesnt want to just format

Offline Aquadyne

Many ways to skin this cat...

I prefer Easus Partition Manager for disk / partition tasks.

Use the free version

http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/
Confacimus Navegemus!!!