Author Topic: Ad generator virus/malware  (Read 2148 times)

Offline jvr

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Ad generator virus/malware
« on: March 10, 2015, 11:35:38 AM »
I downloaded a free software program the other day to convert audio files into WMA for our new VW Tiguan's SD card and got with it a free complimentary ad generator virus/malware that infected my laptop to such a degree that I cannot use it at present. I have since downloaded Avast as well as a malware removal program but had limited success (it identifies the bugger, puts it away, but it keeps on coming back). Our local computer repairers/suppliers cannot resolve it either and suggested a entire Windows removal and re-installation process... Any suggestions/help?
Lend me your ears

Offline fuz940510

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Ad generator virus/malware
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:26:06 PM »
Unfortunately, i think the clean slate idea might be the smoothest and most likely to succeed  :nfi: as much of a schlep as it may be.

I assume using Windows? Have you tried recovering to a restore point?
If you want to be taken seriously, always check your fly.

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 01:54:10 PM »
too late to add an antivirus after getting infected .... there are two methods to sort it out :

1) remove the hard drive and connect it to a known clean machine as a slave drive and have the antivirus installed on the clean machine and try to remove the virus (not always successful because some of the files removed to get rid of the virus may be required operating system files

2) as suggested by your tech and also up above the old "format and reinstall" is the best idea and then purchase, install, update and register an antivirus and web defender type of program (they usually have some kind of an ID tag so they prevent the cracked versions from updating properly ..... so if you dont want to purchase one then keep windows defender updated and use a free one like AVG or something like that) .... though if you do use this latter strategy then hopefully you have all your critical Data backed up. In terms of this i usually have a small operating system drive and everything important is on a larger storage drive that i will fight tooth and nail to save if the  :cr@p: hits the fan .... the O/S drive if its ever hit by a virus ..... well its like in the movie "Heat" never have anything that you cant walk away from .... so the O/S installation is bare bones and it normally takes me around two minutes to decide whether to format and reinstall or try and save it (the answer is usually to format and reinstall)

3) the other thing is that with malware there are many guides on the internet as to how to remove them but it usually requires registry modification and if you are not familiar with this then you probably are going to land up doing the format and reinstall anyway after you mess up the registry ..... but over the last three to 4 years i havent come across any malware that i couldnt actually remove by following some guide i found which sometimes does or does not require removal tools freely downloaded from the internet .... as i said though registry mods by the dozen (wasnt too difficult for me since i studied IT at a college .... non techie types may have problems though)

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 03:20:14 PM »
Thanks guys. I actually used my Windows firewall and anti-virus and it was always kept up to date but evidently not sufficient to stop this little f*****... sorry, I meant bugger. It did not even pick it up when I first scanned my laptop... Had to use Avast. I can't seem to find any online support re this particular one, but it has been devastatingly effective. I will never again download freeware from the internet!

Fortunately my music files are all on a separate hard drive :groovy:
Lend me your ears

Offline Eish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 03:51:56 PM »
Jvr

Try to also remove the software that converts audio (the source of the adware).  If I recall you also have to disable all browser add-ons (because they can re-visit the source site and reinstall in the background) for all your browsers.

I recently installed Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2015.  Popup blocker works a charm.  No silver bullet, but well worth it.
There are rules, and rules must be followed

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 04:39:51 PM »
I recently installed Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2015.  Popup blocker works a charm.  No silver bullet, but well worth it.

bitdefender has been the best antivirus i have also used - its way better than Kaspersky and infinitely better than Nortons and avast and AVG and most of the other commonly used ones

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 04:40:23 PM »
Thanks Eish, weird thing is that I immediately noticed that it was downloading a separate file in the background (a new browser window has opened), which I immediately stopped/closed. Ironically that download had a name that suggested that it had something to do with ad-stopper. So even though I stopped it immediately and also uninstalled the freeware that I just installed, it is as if it took revenge on me >:D. I have since uninstalled all the bloody freeware downloads that I had, one of which prompted an internet browser window to open and again I just closed it... But these things happen so darn quickly even though I have the anti-virus software & firewall active. I have since disabled the browser add-ons, but the ad generator is still attempting to open up external ads in any web page that I visit (from the infected laptop).   
Lend me your ears

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
Ubuntu.com, load livecd, delete offending program & folders. Reboot
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 08:16:52 PM »
Have you tried Malwarebytes?  This removed something similar from a friend's machine.  It is also free
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 07:31:28 AM »
Thanks a lot JR!!!! I will give it a go.

ChrisC - Yes, I have. It does a great job of stopping the ads and/or extra browser pages from opening, but it does not resolve the problem and browsing becomes extremely slow (so much so that it is not worth it).
Lend me your ears

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 05:26:06 PM »
Ubuntu.com, load livecd, delete offending program & folders. Reboot
I visited Ubuntu.com and got a feel for what it offers. Quick question - is it safe to do all of this without first backing up all my files and store all my data on a separate back-up disc/drive?
Lend me your ears

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 05:37:22 PM »
I visited Ubuntu.com and got a feel for what it offers. Quick question - is it safe to do all of this without first backing up all my files and store all my data on a separate back-up disc/drive?

backup all your files and data on a separate backup drive regardless.
Always up for coffee and investments - insurance - retirement.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 09:02:55 PM »
a liveboot session makes no changes whatsoever to your system, but you can access your windows partition and delete files, edit contents etc.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 07:54:20 AM »
a liveboot session makes no changes whatsoever to your system, but you can access your windows partition and delete files, edit contents etc.
Thanks, that is very helpful!
Lend me your ears

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 08:18:36 AM »
This proved to be much more challenging than what I could have imagined. I just could not install Ubuntu at first. By yesterday afternoon, out of pure desperation, I downloaded the trial version of Bitdefender 2015. What a powerful program. I scanned my entire computer and it picked up numerous viruses. I also conducted the one-click optimiser. When I rebooted after all this (I was prompted to do so), it finally installed Ubuntu from the disc and I now have the option to log into Windows or Ubuntu. To make a long story short, this is the first time that I am able to do anything on-line from this laptop in over a week. It runs smoothly and without any errors. Thanks to all concerned!!! 
Lend me your ears