Author Topic: Best DAC under R20k?  (Read 9146 times)

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Best DAC under R20k?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »
Buy it an tells us what you think of it? If What Hi-Fi gave it 5 stars for the funky naming scheme then I'd panic, but a lot of other reviewers seem to have liked it as well. Doesn't offer much in terms of features.

Offline Rupert

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Durbanville, Cape Town
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2015, 09:51:59 PM »
No. The bottom line is needing to recoup my expenses if I want to resell something I don't want to keep. That's the biggest problem, isn't it? One we all have to deal with.

Offline Swindlehurstguy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Portapussy
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2015, 10:55:46 PM »
Rupert , I had a Wadia 121, it did not tickle the fancy and let it go to another Forum member, you could always find one, I let it go at R5000, bit silly really, cause for computer audio it was okay. BUT I see that there is one floating around at R12000 in JHB, though Iwould not throw 12 at it! My instincts tell me the122 will be great!

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2015, 06:32:40 AM »
Rupert , I had a Wadia 121, it did not tickle the fancy and let it go to another Forum member, you could always find one, I let it go at R5000, bit silly really, cause for computer audio it was okay. BUT I see that there is one floating around at R12000 in JHB, though Iwould not throw 12 at it! My instincts tell me the122 will be great!

funny thing wadia 121 works for me  sounds beautiful in my system

suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2015, 07:14:48 AM »
No. The bottom line is needing to recoup my expenses if I want to resell something I don't want to keep. That's the biggest problem, isn't it? One we all have to deal with.

i disagree  with this approach t
sounds more like you asking what people like so if you want to resell there will be interest .
one of the best dacs i have heard is a msb link gold dac
only does 96khz
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline kamikazi

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2015, 10:13:47 AM »
Rupert go demo DACs, rather than speculating about options, there are a ton of options and very few people here have heard a wide enough variety of DACs to be able to offer you sound advice. One of the issues that you have is that you own the Yulong D18 which would belong to the warm and syrupy DAC group which makes it difficult to interpret your wants in your first post.

Firstly if you like the Yulong D18, how far would you venture from that signature?
Would you trade warmth for a more neutral and detailed resolution?
Would you be willing to sacrifice detail to keep that warmth and musicality?
Looking for something in between?

I'd go as far and say that what you're looking for cannot be found in that price range, they all involve trade-offs somewhere. You have to accept that and list a couple that you fancy within those constraints and see if you can demo them (see if any forum members own them or if there are shops that will let you demo) or otherwise purchase 2nd hand and experiment if you are worried about losing money.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 10:20:30 AM by kamikazi »

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2015, 09:44:41 PM »
My choice hands down would be the Wyred4sound DAC-1 LE (Limited Edition) - about R17k locally. Same Sabre dac chip as the Vivere (I think) and the built in filters allow some tailoring of the sound to taste.

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2015, 09:56:27 PM »
I owned the W4S DAC2,loved it and picked it up second hand for around 8K so would consider WaterHond's option.

I would also agree with kamikazi to go audition if you can.
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Rupert

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Durbanville, Cape Town
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2015, 11:02:59 AM »
Not too many auditioning options in CT. Not under R20k, anyway.  And I can also say that "sounds more like you asking what people like so if you want to resell there will be interest" is untrue.  The one DAC that gets sold here most regularly is the Audiolab M-DAC, and for that very reason I'm not interested in it. (Also, I've heard it two different people's systems.)

Only one person here has said something negative about the W4S range. I think that's the one DAC I'll buy without hearing it first (hint).

Offline kamikazi

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2015, 01:24:10 PM »
Also a DAC I'd like to demo, but unfortunately quite scarce in SA and a lot more expensive than the ID USD price. They seem to evoke a love/hate relationship similar to Yulong on many of the forums I visit, so I'd consider it a risky blind buy.

Offline palaughton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2015, 02:20:08 PM »
A cheap dac that punches well above it weight: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331095392715 . The  Maverick d1,  Google the reviews, looks promising, I want to give it a try.

Offline stereosane

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2015, 10:54:26 AM »
Check out the Nad C510, it's a digital pre-amp / Dac, but according to the Hifi Choice review it is the Nad M51 in a different casing at half the price. I'm seriously considering getting one, I know someone with the M51, I only got to hear it for an hour and I was impressed but I think a longer Demo is in order..

Offline itscraig

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2015, 11:32:52 AM »
A cheap dac that punches well above it weight: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331095392715 . The  Maverick d1,  Google the reviews, looks promising, I want to give it a try.
the maveric DAC's are amazing for the price.

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2015, 03:42:13 PM »
/\ Too cheap for Rupert I suspect. ;)
It's only hifi people....

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
I think not good enough irrespective of value. There is a difference between awesome for the money and awesomer.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za