Author Topic: Best DAC under R20k?  (Read 9085 times)

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
Re: Best DAC under R20k?
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2017, 10:49:48 PM »
Gavin fiddles because he wants to.  His DAC will always be on a plankie.

The other has just changed hands because the original owner realized he has 50,000 other projects he's get to tackle.

well the question always stands  How much more can you get out of it . possible combinations
valves  psu etc  :headbanger:
so id call it false advertising to call it a dac under 20k
You would need a lot of discipline to just stop at giving it a psu and usb board
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline itscraig

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2017, 07:01:37 AM »
you can also buy a soekris already assembled and in a housing, that will be way below 20k.
you are only going to go over 20k if you do a dual board setup. if single board way below 20k and better than all the DAC's mentioned so far.
i am running it as a plankie in single board as i wait for all the other bits to arrive.
i would recommend that for anyone looking for a DAC in the -20k range they get the seokris because it is a true performer in its single board setup.

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2017, 07:12:01 AM »
The Soekris dac1101 gets muddling reviews. http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/soekris-dac1101-r2r-dac-amp.153/
It is cheap though. EUR363.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2017, 07:40:55 AM »
yes i know i am going to have to go backwards and do a Linux install again
shame, back to the future... :P
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Online Phase

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2017, 07:53:06 AM »

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2017, 08:01:47 AM »
you can also buy a soekris already assembled and in a housing, that will be way below 20k.
you are only going to go over 20k if you do a dual board setup. if single board way below 20k and better than all the DAC's mentioned so far.
i am running it as a plankie in single board as i wait for all the other bits to arrive.
i would recommend that for anyone looking for a DAC in the -20k range they get the seokris because it is a true performer in its single board setup.

Enjoy will visit when you done
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."