My take on Chipamps

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbyleveldt

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well, since I'm plunging into the whole speaker building saga, I figured I'm going to need a couple of small amps to test the correct crossover response using active crossovers. I've been quite curious as to the whole hoopla everybody's made about Chipamps, so I figured I'd give it a bash...

The amp has 4 LM3886 ICs with a pretty mean 300VA supply to run the whole lot. I was going to just chuck it into any old box, but I've been wanting to try a different idea for the boxes, so I decided to do it properly. I got the ICs as samples from National, I just had to pay $30 for shipping, not too bad I guess...

My opinions? Well, these do sound really good!  :clap:  I can see why people make such a big fuss about it. I haven't done an A/B with my SKA yet, but it is a LOT better than I expected!  :clap:  For the money and convenience, there is NOTHING that comes close to it!! If you looking for a first DIY project, it cannot possibly be simpler than going this route!

A couple of things to remember: When running 4 ohm speakers (like my Jamo's) DON'T get the plastic package! I got them for convenience sake, but the package cannot transfer heat quickly enough to the heatsinks, so you are limited with how hard you can drive the amps. Also, pay attention to the data sheet and run them at +-28V, not +-35V when using 4 ohm. Once I'm done with my speakers, I'm gonna use this amp for my studio monitors in an active config (This is how much I really like this amp!)

Attached are some pics of the build
Picture184.jpg

Picture185.jpg

Picture186.jpg

Picture187.jpg

Picture189.jpg

I'm in two minds if I should have the heatsinks anodised black or not. I'll still think about it a bit...

Latest posts