Author Topic: Group buy for some fibreglass / rockwool  (Read 6377 times)

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Group buy for some fibreglass / rockwool
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2015, 12:38:12 AM »
Does anyone have the actual density of the U Thermo boards? All I can find is the 'equivalents'.
It's only hifi people....

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2015, 05:08:36 AM »
Shoowee, the stuff's gone up.

Yip ,think a bag of 10 x 50mm U8 is up by around  R200/bag.
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Online Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2015, 07:46:57 AM »
Does anyone have the actual density of the U Thermo boards? All I can find is the 'equivalents'.

40, 60 and 80kg/m3 for Uthermo 3,6 and 8. You can work it out from the surface weight figure. Lockn'Load verified this in another thread, comes in just a little under in reality, was about 7% lighter.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:56:04 AM by Doge »

Offline d0dja

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2015, 09:16:23 AM »
I'm wanting some boards  to make corner chunk traps. Made some low density ones from isotherm but they were pretty unscientific and don't do a lot.

Thinking of three corner chunk traps 3m high... so with 50mm panels that would be 45 boards.

I was planning a group buy a year or so back but Jay at Egoli was just so ludicrously unresponsive that I gave up and went on to other things.

Offline reactor_sa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2015, 10:39:03 AM »
I'm wanting some boards  to make corner chunk traps. Made some low density ones from isotherm but they were pretty unscientific and don't do a lot.

Thinking of three corner chunk traps 3m high... so with 50mm panels that would be 45 boards.

I was planning a group buy a year or so back but Jay at Egoli was just so ludicrously unresponsive that I gave up and went on to other things.
I think his unresponsiveness is based on 1) we buy little compared to what someone doing their roof would, 2)they don't often have stock of the not so common for roof use, high density boards.
I know when I got mine last year, no one mentioned in this thread had stock of what I was looking for - had to wait 3 weeks for the next run from isover since they do batches of different product every so often (usually long after national stock is sold out).

Offline Abu

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • JHB North
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2015, 11:03:40 AM »
...  but Jay at Egoli was just so ludicrously unresponsive that I gave up and went on to other things.

Lol... a year later and nothing has changed :D

I think his unresponsiveness is based on 1) we buy little compared to what someone doing their roof would,

Suppose so but customer service is customer service. By all means prioritise the big boys but don't ignore the little ones completely
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:08:04 AM by Abu »

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2015, 11:17:24 AM »
40, 60 and 80kg/m3 for Uthermo 3,6 and 8. You can work it out from the surface weight figure. Lockn'Load verified this in another thread, comes in just a little under in reality, was about 7% lighter.

Thanks for that.  :2thumbs:

I got my panels from Aeroinsul because I just got gatvol of Jay. Seriously, I had an argument with him regards the density of this stuff. Ended up calling from  his office the Isover technical guy who confirmed what I said. He was insisting on the 'equivalent weight'.
It's only hifi people....

Online Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2015, 01:49:42 PM »
He was insisting on the 'equivalent weight'.

That's pretty :cr@p: customer service. Interestingly though that's sort-of a fair point;

Isover U Thermo prices are all around R60/kg for all variants , and I rate 4" of the 3 will work better than 2" of the 8 in isolation

Still absolutely NO excuse for arguing with a customer though :sulky: