HD media streamer

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enigma_2k4

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently built up my little spare PC as a media PC in my lounge, however, it's not nearly as effective as I was expecting it to be and has been more of a pain in the arse then a solution.

Thus I am looking at some media streamer options, and was wondering if anyone has any experience any media streamers.

What I want is something that can:
1. Output full HD video via HDMI cable (in 1080p)
2. Output music from FLAC file format as well as the various other standard stuff.
3. Pull all it's media off of a media server, connected either via wireless networking or LAN.
4. Double as a PVR to record and display DSTV (so it has a composite input and can display it on the TV)

Now, I seriously have my doubt that full HD content can stream wirelessly, however, I am also worried that full HD content might not be able to stream via LAN. Does anyone know if this is not the case?

Now I know that most media boxes have space for a Hard drive however, unless there is a media streamer that holds at least 5 sata drives I am going to have to stream over LAN, thus it's a little bit complicated and there-in lies my dilema. I doubt that my wireless signal would be strong enough to be able to transmit full HD bitrates so I'm happy enough to get the media server close to the media box and use LAN. Will 10/100 LAN be OK to stream full HD compression (probably in the mkv format) or does it have to be 10/100/1000.

I am really liking the look of the popcorn hour C 200 found here
Also, there is the Popcorn hour A110 which is also pretty dam nice.
ZyXEL's DMA-2500 looks up to the task too.
The MX780HD has me drooling like mad! - as does would their PVR if it could output full HD via HDMI

Latest posts