Better Safe than Sorry

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi

As the cost of a new 5amp variac is almost R3K according to a quote from Communica, I think I'll go along with the 100W lamp idea. I went looking in my workshop for a little plankie this afternoon and instead, found a little metal project box which I used before for a charger.

When I built the charger, I fitted the enclosure with a fused IEC socket and I have plenty of terminated power leads for that. This morning, I bought a nice all ceramic lamp holder which I can surface mount safely on top of the box.

At the power out end, I will fit a lead terminated with the usual 250V 16A 3-pin female socket.

The question: The mains leads and socketry I'll be using are all 3-core (with earth) Do you think I should earth the device and to what? as all the sockets on the amp and pre are earthed.

Since I'm mainly making this device for the Quad 33/303, should I also hook up the pre amp? I know while doing this, I need to have speakers connected to the amp. If this is inconvenient at the time, what kind or rating resistors should I use for the amp's speaker sockets?

Thank you for your attention.

mafioso