Author Topic: Cutting through the BS for alternative power  (Read 14327 times)

Offline Andrew

• FLBP Aficionado
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Cutting through the BS for alternative power
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2015, 04:09:29 PM »
Thanks - yes, those look a lot better than the ones she has at present, will try pop in at Makro this weekend to take a look.
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2015, 04:35:49 PM »
The 1200 watt inverters sold at Graystone Autoparts at Chinatown in Ottery are not at all bad for R800.00.  I attached it to a 105 a/h battery and gradually attached more and more devices until it was supplying 4 amps at 235 VAC, which is about 940 watts.  After an hour the case of the inverter around where the MOSFET transistors was warm, but the rest of the case cool.  The battery lead, which appears to be 12mm diameter was a bit warmer, but not excessively so.

While running about 800 watts of devices, I switched on a computer.  This would not start.  So I reduced the load to 400 watts, then the computer started and ran.  So it seems that devices that demand an inrush of current will not operate when there is a big load.

After 3 hours running between 600 and 800 watts, the battery had gone down from 13.3 volts to 12.1.  It took just under 2 hours for the 7.2A charger to bring it back to 13.3 volts.  I left the charger on overnight and it got to 13.7 volts

What would not work at all was a UPS and a turntable motor

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2015, 04:49:49 PM »
LED experiment

Graystone Autoparts in Chinatown sell a 5 metre strip containing 490 white leds for R 200,00.  There is adhesive on the back.  It operates from 12 VDC.  The strip can be cut at intervals, so this is what I did

I used a 1 metre length of trunking 40mm x 16mm.  Since the strip is 8mm wide, you can cut into 5 x 1 metre lengths and attach it to the trunking side by side

Then I soldered together all +v and - terminals and made a flying lead to attach onto a 12 volt alarm battery.  You can see the off and on versions in these photos

All 5 metres illuminated at once draw 750mA from the battery, so a 3 hour session is minimal

No power 

Powered up 

It is bright enough to read by quite easily and is cool white in colour.  I used low power power connectors (2.1mm plug and socket) to attach to the battery

After showing this to some people, I have made up 12.  It is about 45 mins work.  You have to slice away the flexible plastic covering to expose the electrical connectors

Offline Music_Lover

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2015, 06:34:34 PM »
Can anyone recommend an electrician to do an inverter and battery bank installation. I am in Midrand.

Chris or anyone else how does one bypass the geyser or fridge for example when running an inverter?

Thanks.
Midrand

Offline philipc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2015, 09:59:50 PM »
^
Geyser must stay off inverter, it will remain hot during load shedding so no need and no problem.
Fridges (anything with an electric motor) best to keep off the inverter.  Elecric motors need a pure sine wave inverter and need big ones to handle startup current. Fridge will stay cold enough if it is only 2 hours of power outage. Freezer is ok, especially chest freezers. Just dont open and close them the whole time or you loose the coolth. (Explain that to the kids and SO)
To meusure is to know

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2015, 05:18:47 AM »
Can anyone recommend an electrician to do an inverter and battery bank installation. I am in Midrand.

Chris or anyone else how does one bypass the geyser or fridge for example when running an inverter?

Thanks.

Northern Electrical. They are the only sparkies I will let touch my house. Excellent work & good guys to boot!
Doug on zero eight two six nine six two nine double three.

They did the cross over switch installation for my genny.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 05:32:31 AM by Trompie67 »
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Music_Lover

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2015, 07:13:32 AM »
Northern Electrical. They are the only sparkies I will let touch my house. Excellent work & good guys to boot!
Doug on zero eight two six nine six two nine double three.

They did the cross over switch installation for my genny.

Thanks Trompie. Should I say 'Trompie told me about you guys' or will that disadvantage me?  ;)
Midrand

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2015, 10:14:57 AM »
Thanks Trompie. Should I say 'Trompie told me about you guys' or will that disadvantage me?  ;)

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Best to hush! I'll drop you a PM!
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Music_Lover

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »
Thanks Trompie, I owe you. Packet of ball bearings in the post.

Does anyone have any battery recommendations, as in brand or place to buy from?

Midrand

Offline Bernard

• AVForums Veteran
  • Stereo .... what stereo ?
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2015, 05:38:26 PM »
I've been using Delphi 1250 HighCycle for 5 or 6 years now. Learned the hard way not to mix new with old. Big bang and lots of blood. I switch on a fan now and again under the desk to clear the air :)

Offline Music_Lover

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2015, 07:38:04 PM »
I've been using Delphi 1250 HighCycle for 5 or 6 years now. Learned the hard way not to mix new with old. Big bang and lots of blood. I switch on a fan now and again under the desk to clear the air :)

Errr, is that supposed to be a recommendation?
Midrand

Offline Bernard

• AVForums Veteran
  • Stereo .... what stereo ?
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2015, 07:56:55 PM »
Errr, is that supposed to be a recommendation?
Yes :) I initially (years ago) made the mistake of adding a newer battery to three older ones to get 48v. From what I understand, the inverter / charger was putting out more juice to charge the older ones and the newer one was "being cooked" and giving off gas. (Hydrogen)  The inverter beeped, I got down to investigate and the new battery just opened up. For awhile I was totally deaf. Blood pouring down my arm. Towards the end of last year I bought new ones and, touch wood, no hiccups.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2015, 08:49:05 PM »
^^ I've just posted a link in your other thread re a similar experience that someone had by putting batteries in parallel.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Music_Lover

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2015, 09:12:55 PM »
Yes :) I initially (years ago) made the mistake of adding a newer battery to three older ones to get 48v. From what I understand, the inverter / charger was putting out more juice to charge the older ones and the newer one was "being cooked" and giving off gas. (Hydrogen)  The inverter beeped, I got down to investigate and the new battery just opened up. For awhile I was totally deaf. Blood pouring down my arm. Towards the end of last year I bought new ones and, touch wood, no hiccups.

Thanks Bernard. That is bloody scary.
Midrand

Offline andredt

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2015, 10:22:15 PM »
Eksdom is giving us lots of business we have already since jan sold 1.2mw of solar stuff. Just landed a container of led light bulbs and tubes too.
For the love of music.
B&W Rotel Marantz H&K Micro Seiki