Author Topic: Cutting through the BS for alternative power  (Read 18186 times)

Offline Music_Lover

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Cutting through the BS for alternative power
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2015, 10:02:12 PM »
Nice work. Still waiting for the load shedding though.
Midrand

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2015, 05:36:00 AM »
THIS was a pain to get sorted. Most of the original Fuchs breakers had to be replaced to make room to get lights and plugs onto a single phase.  Fitting the new breakers on brackets intended for Fuchs breakers from the 60s is an exercise in patience & determination.

Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2015, 03:21:04 PM »
Quick question to those in the know re inverter operation.  Does it always regenerate AC thus offering a nice clean supply even in pass through or only when drawing on batteries to produce AC?
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Heinrich

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • silence is golden, but ductape is silver
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2015, 03:36:27 PM »
Quick question to those in the know re inverter operation.  Does it always regenerate AC thus offering a nice clean supply even in pass through or only when drawing on batteries to produce AC?

nope, only passes ac through while charging.
double conversion UPS systems always gives you a nice clean supply.
someone told me that i can make ice cubes with left over wine.
i am confused, what is left over wine?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2015, 04:47:26 PM »
If you instruct the inverter to always draw from solar, it will not pass through any "utility" power as my one puts it.  You have to make sure that you can replenish whatever you draw from the batteries during the day when the sun shines on the panels.  Right now for instance it is overcast, but not yet raining and the voltage from panels dropped from a maximum of 69 volts to 18 volts.  So 18 x 22 amps = 792 watts and you have to factor in inefficiencies in the charging circuit and batteries

But I expect you know all that, but there might be others who do not

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »
Now winter in the Cape is upon us, the saving from the PV panels is not that great.  In summer (well, from October to March) I was using 8 units a day.  This has crept up to 12.  Many times now during the day the input wattage from the PV panels only just exceeds the useage.  The device goes into Bypass mode at about 6.15pm.  In summer it would be nearer 8.00pm

Offline andredt

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2016, 11:30:48 AM »
thin Film panels are much more efficient .
For the love of music.
B&W Rotel Marantz H&K Micro Seiki

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2016, 04:35:27 PM »
Are they much more expensive than regular panels?

Offline andredt

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2016, 04:31:20 AM »
Chris more or less the same price of R8.60 a watt. The problem is they only 165w panels ao you need more. Also string voltages is higher so you need more combiner boxes.
For the love of music.
B&W Rotel Marantz H&K Micro Seiki

Offline Danny Boy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2017, 01:00:51 PM »
Given the new  :cr@p: that's happening, I think I need to invest in a backup solution (and perhaps save a couple of bucks month-to-month). Our region is planned for 5 March. I'm interested in going grid-tied, as I don't actually have the budget for any of this. I'd like to run only my 2 PCs and AV equipment (we use almost no household lights) of this.

I'm thinking of doing it in 2 stages:
Stage 1
1x 10x ah battery, adding exactly another one a month or 2 later
1x >=1200w inverter - what is recommended?
1x battery charger
What impact would this have on a electricity bill if the above is permanently connected to the grid?

Stage 2
Does anybody have experience in Ecco's products? I'm tinking about the 40A (or perhaps the 50A - future proofing...) http://www.valueforest.co.za/action.php?loc=South+Africa&sort=sortPriceAsc&key=ecco%20controllers
1x Solar panel, adding as needed (not sure what wattage)

Can someone anybody that has dabbled with is please assist? Any other solutions? I was looking at http://www.takealot.com/mecer-2000vu-line-interactive-ups/PLID34152441, but no long term benefits
HT: Onkyo TX-NR828 | Wharfedale Obsidian 600 | Polk PSW350 | HiSense 60K390 | Zalman HD503 HTPC & Kodi 17.3
Stereo: NAD 3020i | NAD 522 | NAD T515 | Pioneer PL-512 | Technics SB-2170 | RPi 3, PiFi v2 & Moode Audio

Offline ingenieus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2017, 09:23:39 PM »
I have had this idea of cooking up a cheap(ish) pure sine wave converter. Go down to Cash converters and pick up a used car amp - the more powerful, the better. It will need to be class D but AFAIK most of them are. Put together a 50Hz sine wave oscillator on strip board. Plug the output of this to the input of the amp. Hook it up to a car battery. A beautiful sine wave will appear on the speaker terminals. The voltage will be a bit low but this is easily rectified with a suitable transformer used in reverse, i.e. connect the secondary to the car amp. Your mains level will be present on the primary. QED!

I haven't done the math on voltage and current, impedances etcetera but it can be done by any evil genius person with the knowledge needed. The one big flaw in my plan would be that the poor amp will be running flat out all or most of the time. The heat sinks and other componentry might not be up to the challenge. The other flaw is that getting more than a few hundred watt out of such a contraption would be a challenge. Perhaps some form of bridging can be employed.

This being the internet, I am probably not the first to think of this. Thoughts?

A word of warning. Do not try this at home. Your car amp could kill you if you get something wrong.  :stop: