Author Topic: Hello, hello, what have we here?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
Hello, hello, what have we here?
« on: January 31, 2015, 10:42:21 AM »
Hope this is the right place for this... Disclaimer* I know just enough about electricity and the inner workings of audio equipment to be dangerous.

I have an old Theta DAC, if I recall correctly acquired from Jamster. Stopped working a while back and I eventually got 'round to opening her up.

According to me, there should be 1 positive and 1 negative wire to the RCA outputs. This old lady has a bit more going on under her skirts - what's up, snip all the excess off or re-solder it all back to where I hope it should be?

(I really need a macro lens)

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Hello, hello, what have we here?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:59:39 AM »
Its an early board prior to them using a summing amp for the dual balanced dac set up.
2 of the outputs are hot + or 0 deg and typically used for RCA. 2 outputs are cold - 180 deg and were wired as a tape record out of sorts or not at all to RCA and only XLR. .
For XLR hot + on pin 2, cold - on pin 3. Grounds to pin 1
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Re: Hello, hello, what have we here?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 10:02:43 AM »
Be very careful of shorting outputs.  They are unprotected and the BUF03  chips are obsolete and cost a fortune NOS. 
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Hello, hello, what have we here?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 10:26:56 AM »
Thanks G, I recall that I ended up removing the 'excess' connections and it worked. It's packed away in a box at the moment.