Diy Painted Screen

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16931

Reaction score
Afternoon chaps,

So anyhow finally got my BenQ W1070 from Amazon, very happy so far.

So took down my 100" diy blackout cloth screen and put up a 120" picture is great but want to get it better so started looking at importing the components for the black widow paint everyone raves about online but decided to rather play around with a few paints.

Sorry I did not take before and after pics, was silly but will post the final result when done.

so first attempt,

Modo brighter rooms (water based) tinted to milton moon, this ended up in nice blacks but colours looked bland and whites where rather grey.

So added about 50% white PVA to the mix and this helped a bit but black levels where not very good.

Second attempt,

Got some Plascon Silvershine metalcare (aluminium solvent based paint) R84 at builders and decided what the hell let me mix it with the left over Modo Milton Moon (water based) to my surprise it actually mixed (4:1 ratio), took some stirring and need to keep stirring every few minutes but wow the screen was significantly brighter only problem was the whites still looked rather grey and too much blue as well.

Third attempt,

Plascon Matt tinted to wilted leaf (similar to black widows dulux ellen half) and added the plascon aluminium (4:1 ratio) , again it mixed rather well and you can see when it needs more mixing. Painted the first coat. The result was fantastic, whites really looked good, deeper blacks from the silver and the new base colour resolved the blue tint.

I was really happy, just decided to do a second coat and this is where things went wrong. Tried to thin the mix using thinners, it appeared to still mix but the moment you start painting it separates and you end up with a very shinny cr**py looking screen  :walled:.

Tonight I am picking up some more Matt and aluminium, costs about R200 all together and will mix it without thinners paint and post the end result.

Hoping it works out as well as that first coat  :rubhands: