Author Topic: Local source for quality dual potentiometers?  (Read 820 times)

Offline afroaudio

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Local source for quality dual potentiometers?
« on: January 12, 2015, 01:11:05 PM »
Hey guys, going to try Communica and Mantech later this week, but seems not a lot of the dual stereo type potentiometers are available.

I need

250K dual linear x 1
250K dual log x 1
50K dual linear x 1
50K mono linear x 1

Also are quiality of these that important? I see the boutique pots going for ridiculous money on hificollective etc

Jonathan

Offline Hennie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Local source for quality dual potentiometers?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 03:53:39 PM »
Yes, quality is very important. Poor channel matching is the most common complaint with cheap stuff, thereafter noisy operation and poor service life, followed by less than smooth movement.

RS Online has Alps, they are reasonable quality, however not cheap. The better Alps pots are widely used in better hi-fi and have a good, smooth feel like a good Japanese pot.

Unknown brands from shops like Communica tend to disappoint.

Offline Hennie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 04:07:20 PM »
Addition:

I actually preferred to use Bourns conductive plastic pots when I could source them locally. They were limited in terms of resistance values for dual pots or logarithmic pots though.

RS also stocks Bourns, perhaps have a look there or order from one of the major online electronic stores, it will be cheaper than the high end DIY audio shops.

Offline afroaudio

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »
Thanks Hennie!

I am putting together an RS order at the moment but wasnt able to find any dual pots on their website, maybe I must try again. Hate to have to import these things myself!

I see a lot of options on ebay but many are fakes I'm sure

Offline Attila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 01:39:27 PM »
Also Try Electrocomp  - http://www.eexpress.co.za/   terrible search engine ..... but they have some gems hidden away, and will bring in from their overseas warehouses ...similar to RS

Nice thing is they are located in Linbro Park off the N3 Marlboro drive   

And then don't forget  RES electronics down town Turfontien way 

Offline afroaudio

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 08:20:37 AM »
Thanks Attila!

Yes have used Electrocomp in the past I think they have a link to Farnell in UK. They can get you pretty much anything and last time delivered my Wima capacitors to my door for free (I'm in CT) I do like RS website - once you get used to the slow process of finding stuff

Now to dig through the info on manufacturers websites to get the proper product codes!  :yawn: