Author Topic: Cleaning vinyl  (Read 13601 times)

Offline Meddle

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Cleaning vinyl
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2016, 08:51:32 PM »
I use Magic eraser to clean my stylus. Works great.
Thorens TD160, Clearaudio Concept V2 / Systemdek iii, SME 3009iii, Ortofon 2M / Rotel BX980, Yaqin ms b12 / Dali Zensor 7 / Marantz PM5004 /Castle Knight 1. Okki Nokki.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2016, 09:11:46 PM »
It works well for caked on crud, don't drag, just dip. 
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline VikingRSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2016, 12:35:57 PM »
I managed to find the magic eraser after looking for it every time I went to checkers/PnP but found mine at Game by the mops. It works like a champ!

Offline robertl

• AVForums Member
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2017, 06:43:12 PM »
Hi all
can you clean your records with only a mixture of
distilled water/isopropyl alcohol or must you add
a wetting agent as well
what are the pros and cons
many thanks

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2017, 06:59:28 PM »
You can, but it is a pain in the harris because the vinyl is naturally hydrophobic so it will not easily get into the grooves.  A surfactant (wetting agent) allows the liquid to get into the grooves. IPA reduces the surface tension somewhat but you would need to add more and therein lies the problem.  Kleen Green is available easily and some swear by it.  Just a couple of drops in half a litre of IPA/Water works wonders and is better than sunlight etc.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline robertl

• AVForums Member
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2017, 07:05:06 PM »
Will get some Kleen Green
to add to the mixture
thanks

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »
Ok, so finally I got everyrhing together, thanks to Matt (Mahleu) for an idler drive with no arm, plinth etc.  'Plinthed' on four plastic legs, rubber mat cut from a beer towel on top of an old wool mat (so record is at worst touching wool but usually rubber), record weight fashoned from a piece of scrap and prattleys putty.  Then a handheld vac with silicone tape over the end and a slit for sucking out the liquid.  And does it work? Well Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds seem to think so as did a von Karajan comp which was in a box in a garage for some years.  The records are clean as a whistle.

Simple RCM!

Red mister has croak's RCM fluid in it.  Yellow has distilled water, I use a natural bristle paint brush to loosen everything and do wash and rinse with suction after each, then a dab with microfibre cloth to remove any remaining liquid then an air dry before playing (just pop them propped up against a cushion).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 03:25:27 PM by JonnyP »
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline JohnnyIC

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2017, 08:51:29 AM »
Here is my homemade record cleaner in action, it's ugly but very effective.