Author Topic: Cleaning vinyl  (Read 13597 times)

Offline chipwelder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Cleaning vinyl
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 04:48:50 PM »
Definitely ro is probably the cleaner of the two... ito that which matters for cleanimg vinyl... as long as your ro doesn't remineralise water... purest water you get is deionized + ro oirc
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline AlleyCat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 05:15:42 PM »
Distlled water can purchased from any of the major chemical companies, e.g. Protea Chemicals. They use them in tons and sell the product onwards too. I stand corrected but 25 ltrs is the minimum and is inexpensive. Check it out.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Meddle

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 05:38:59 PM »
Dischem sells it, branded as Health Water. R8.99/L
Thorens TD160, Clearaudio Concept V2 / Systemdek iii, SME 3009iii, Ortofon 2M / Rotel BX980, Yaqin ms b12 / Dali Zensor 7 / Marantz PM5004 /Castle Knight 1. Okki Nokki.

Offline JoshDeet

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 04:28:09 PM »
Check your local vet. Mine sold me 5 liter bottles at R45. They use it for medical purposes.

Offline jatho

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 07:31:40 AM »
No surfactants. Wetting agent. In everyday lingo what is referred to as surfactants defines compounds meant to cling to the surface discouraging further contamination, while pure wetting agent simply allows the (cleaning) solution to flow between the surface and the contamination helping the brush/suction take the contamination out.
Stylus of course doesn't know surfactant from plain dirt so it will sound like dirt and it will collect it from the groove and fuse it onto itself. Oh joy.

Isopropyl alc has marginally lower surface tension than water, so it mostly does the job (ratio: about 1/10 of the solution by volume - 1 part Isopropyl, 9 parts distilled water from the pharmacy).
Will it magically remove the braai fingermarks from the vinyl or years of slowly fused airborne pollution? No, not even close. But, it helps (in combination with "solvent"), plus it leaves no residue and most importantly it helps the solution evaporate faster. Good stuff.

Any detergent is a wetting agent too as well as solvent for most contaminants. Unfortunately, 99.99% of detergents contain surfactants (and gawd knows what else - some are more primitive than the other) which WILL leave gunky residue in the groove. Sunlight is a prime example - even one tiny drop of it per 1/2L of the solution leaves enough residue that your stylus will gunk-up after playing 4 LP sides.

Kleen Green is different from other common household detergents and seems to be the right(est) answer to our needs.
It works perfectly fine for me and a few more people here and I am yet to detect any residue from it.
About 10 fat drops per 1/2L of solution is my ratio.

If you are after the best in wetting agents, Ilford's ILFOTOL is apparently the current favourite.
Kodak's Photoflo has been used by many for a number of years but I heard recently that it actually does contain surfactants thus, rather not.

Back to the article; I have no reason not to believe that Tergitol NP-9 is "it" so ask your wife if she can get you some "nonylphenol ethoxylate NP-9" and then SHARE! :point:

Finally:
If you encounter one (or more) of those pesky permanently crackly LPs that appear perfectly clean after the wash & vac but still carry on crackling, you are most likely looking into one of those that somehow ended up with finest inorganic dust sediments in the groove which was then burnished into the vinyl by repeated playback without cleaning it first. No amount of any of the above cleaning solutions will help with that.

But...! Simple white vinegar often will. It dissolves or at last loosens the inorganic material. 3-5 minutes of vinegar treatment (agitate it with brush, just like normal cleaning process) followed by suction and than a normal cleaning solution & vacuum WILL make a noticeable difference.

Nice explanation and detail as always.

I'm definitely going to try the vinegar treatment, I've got a Fleetwood Mac LP that I bought from Recordmad a while back, on face value it seems in excellent condition (both cover and LP) but alas it suffers from this damn crackle, I've tried multiple cleans but it doesn't get better.

Offline senyetse

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 07:59:54 AM »
Is that pure vinegar or diluted?

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+70)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 08:45:09 AM »
Pure for 2-3 min followed by wash & vac. Flip the other side. Repeat. Test. If it does make a difference repeat the whole process for as long as there is audible improvement.
Sometimes, nothing helps - actual vinyl damage.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline jatho

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 08:48:16 AM »
Pure for 2-3 min followed by wash & vac. Flip the other side. Repeat. Test. If it does make a difference repeat the whole process for as long as there is audible improvement.
Sometimes, nothing helps - actual vinyl damage.

I'll try it this evening and report back tomorrow (or late evening :D )

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 11:50:19 AM »
Great thread ..

I just ordered some fluid from Roy.. Have plenty very old LP's to get done and was thinking to use spinkleen and then VPI , maybe I just reserve the spinkleen for the viniger treat ...

I will report back at some point.
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 01:24:37 PM »
Spin Kleen and a platter Rcm imo not friends.  Lp is wet both sides when you take it out the bath.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline jatho

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 06:04:33 PM »
Tried the vinegar clear but it didn't help, this is a particularly difficult LP though so I'll try it on something else and report back.

Offline JoshDeet

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 06:42:04 PM »
Just saw distilled water at checkers Elridge, just thought I'd let you know.

Also struggling with my RCM build. If the motor gears aren't slipping, the cashier at builders is replacing my pipe adapters with the wrong ones without showing me (the ones I took didn't have barcodes). 32mm is not 38!!!

Offline afroaudio

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
I found this article quite helpful and this thread too :) I made up a batch to use with my knosti disco antistat using ISO, deionized water and Ilfotol. good results so far  :groovy:

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/for-audiophiles/home-brew-cleaner-for-vacuum-rcms/

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • It's all about the music, really...
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 10:46:30 PM »
I found this article quite helpful and this thread too :) I made up a batch to use with my knosti disco antistat using ISO, deionized water and Ilfotol. good results so far

Great! Where did you buy Ilfotol? Am looking for some too.
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline jatho

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 07:40:43 AM »
I found this article quite helpful and this thread too :) I made up a batch to use with my knosti disco antistat using ISO, deionized water and Ilfotol. good results so far  :groovy:

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/for-audiophiles/home-brew-cleaner-for-vacuum-rcms/

Some nice articles on that site, came across this one a few days ago regarding record care (well more record storage) that's quite a good read.

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/for-audiophiles/record-care/