Author Topic: Cleaning vinyl  (Read 18442 times)

Offline JonnyP

• Gear Slut≤
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
Re: Cleaning vinyl
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »
Where exactly can you find it? I have access to other surfactants in my lab, which work as well as or better than Ilfotol.  Hey, I could get an A++ if I could raid the stores!
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2017, 08:40:34 PM »
Where exactly can you find it? I have access to other surfactants in my lab, which work as well as or better than Ilfotol.  Hey, I could get an A++ if I could raid the stores!
Any wetting agent will do as long as it washes away together with water.
Some surfactants are unfortunately designed to leave the film behind, which is why surfactants in common household detergents leave a mess behind.
Kleen Green, miraculously, doesn't.

My mix is 90+% H2O, the rest is Isoprophyl. Then, two small squirts of Kleen Green and 4 drops of Ilfotol per 1/2 litre of solution.
All you need from Kleen Green is the ability to chemically dissolve oils. Little bit of foaming action is good because it lifts the contamination from the surface making it easy to vacuum or wipe off.

I can pretty much guarantee that Ilfotol has magic anti-static properties.
LPs washed with the solution that includes Ilfotol do not crackle, stick to paper sleeves much less and carbon-fibre brush glides over the surface without sticking at all.
This leads me to believe that it does, after all, leave some kind of film behind. But hey, it doesn't gunk up the stylus AT ALL and it takes care of static completely - what's there to complain!

I organised 2 litres for the AVF community from the supplier in Pretoria a few years back - can't remember who he was for the life of me, sorry :(
I mean, once I realised that 2x 100ml is going to last me a lifetime, I didn't bother to write it down.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:44:09 PM by fdlsys »
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when youíve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline jatho

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2017, 09:05:23 AM »

Most photography shops have it, I think they use it when developing photos, like Mike said you only need a few drops with each bottle of cleaning mix you make, I think they come in 500ml+ bottles which is enough to wash 1 trillion LP's :D

I bought mine from a photography shop don't remember which one, if you're anywhere near the East Rand you're welcome to pop around and I'll give you some for free.

Offline JonnyP

• Gear Slut≤
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2017, 05:49:28 PM »
Thanks for the offer and info, I am in Durban though and have a big bottle of Croak's RCM formula at the moment.  When I run out I'll try a photo shop I use.

On another note, I have tried enzyme tablets as well for an extra clean where fingerprints are involved.  Don't know if that or the RCM fluid did the job or the combo.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2017, 06:01:11 PM »
Interesting. How long for the tablet to dissolve and enzymes to achieve full strength? Any negatives - smell, leftover residue...?
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry

Offline JonnyP

• Gear Slut≤
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2017, 06:38:16 PM »
Warmed a little bit of distilled water, added the tablet (Clicks I think) got it to dissolve then left to cool to body temperature.  Sprayed on, let it sit for half an hour (makng sure it didn't dry out), then brush, vacuum, rinse with DW then normal RCM procedure with the home made.

Body temp as these were enzyme supplement tablets so should activate at that temp.

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2017, 06:55:26 PM »
... let it sit for half an hour (makng sure it didn't dry out) ...
Yep, I was afraid it might require some time to labour. Think I'll stick with Kleen Green.

Offline JonnyP

• Gear Slut≤
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2017, 07:42:50 PM »
It was a weekend, I thought I'd try it

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2017, 10:13:43 PM »
I started to question all this talk of "oils and waxes" in vinyl being "leached out" and started nosing around on the web. In the piece you shall find here: http://www.whatisvinyl.com/
there is not a word of "oils and waxes". I think you can relax on that score. Vinyl seems pretty inert, it seems.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."

David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline JonnyP

• Gear Slut≤
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2017, 10:27:14 PM »
Yep, itís the oils and waxes and other gunk that builds up that needs removal.  Some would also say there is the potential for oil or bits during the pressing process of making a record so they clean new ones too

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2017, 06:37:47 AM »
Yep, itís the oils and waxes and other gunk that builds up that needs removal.  Some would also say there is the potential for oil or bits during the pressing process of making a record so they clean new ones too
Yes, that makes a lot of sense, but some people are under the impression oils and waxes are withdrawn from the very substance of the record, which is in fact not possible to my knowledge.

David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Veteran

David Avocado Wolfe