Author Topic: tv series  (Read 33552 times)

Offline xumbug

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: tv series
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2015, 09:12:30 PM »
Hey, who has a copy of "house of cards" one two and three to lend me? would like to see what all the fuss is about!
SDA Acoustics loudspeakers, Audio Research Ref 3 Pre amp and Ref 210 power amps, Bel Canto VB3.5 Dac, Pathos Endorphin cd player, squeeze box touch.

Offline senyetse

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2015, 08:33:33 AM »
i found Raising Hope  pretty good .

One of my favourites.

Offline legro

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2015, 10:49:56 PM »
+ 1 for Walking Dead. Dunno what it says about my psyche that I love this so much. For a totally different take on the whole zombie genre check out Les Revenants - very French and cerebral but not quite as good as WD. Music by the greatest band of all time.

Offline legro

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2015, 10:57:22 PM »
Honourable mentions for
Prime Suspect - acting masterclass by Helen Mirren
The Wire - by far the most gritty and realistic cop day-to-day-grind drama.
The Sopranos- nuff said
Breaking Bad
True Detective

Offline senyetse

• AVForums Member
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2015, 06:27:20 AM »
Breaking Bad  :2thumbs:

Offline Eish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2015, 08:09:56 AM »
Star Trek: Voyager Season 4 onwards and those who know the series will no doubt know why (BWS- I will be surprised if you don't know why)

There are rules, and rules must be followed

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2015, 04:03:52 PM »
Star Trek: Voyager Season 4 onwards and those who know the series will no doubt know why (BWS- I will be surprised if you don't know why)

are you talking about Jeri Ryan aka "Seven of Nine"?  ;)

Offline Eish

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 04:16:25 PM »
The collective, that whole season was rich and awesome, including the ones after that.

The crown jewel of all series for me remains 24

Offline jvr

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Upset the apple cart
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2015, 04:46:57 PM »
The collective, that whole season was rich and awesome, including the ones after that.

The crown jewel of all series for me remains 24
I am a huge fan of 24. I missed half of one series and half of another series somewhere in the middle that I intend to catch up with them being rebroadcasted on channel 102.
Lend you my ears..?

Offline jvr

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Upset the apple cart
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2015, 04:58:21 PM »
Hey, who has a copy of "house of cards" one two and three to lend me? would like to see what all the fuss is about!
I watched half a series and then I actually got bored. The acting is quite good, but there is a limit in one's ability to be exposed to the levels of backstabbing and corruption before it starts reminding you a tad too much of our own politicians. Kevin Spacey is brilliant in that role and I love the parts where he engages directly with the viewer, but as I said, just too much negativity... Its almost as bad as the worst moments in Homeland where you would get the perception that the producers are trying their best to push the envelope of one's comfort zone without the story really needing it...
Lend you my ears..?

Offline legro

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2015, 04:59:08 PM »
Must confess I loved the first four or so series of 24. After that it became a tad predictable in its regular plot twists and unpredictability - if that makes any sense. You just knew the scriptwriters could not keep that up.

Same thing goes for The Blacklist btw: started with an almighty bang and then just gradually fizzled out.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 05:17:41 PM by legro »

Offline entropyagent

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die!
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2015, 06:44:58 PM »
Prime Suspect - acting masterclass by Helen Mirren
+1

Watched maybe 2 seasons of Scott & Bailey - Can we call it a 21st century female cop buddy series? With Manchester accents. Quite entertaining , gritty enough, not too ugly for my delicate sensibilities.

Did not enjoy Trial and Retribution enough...tooo gritty? Or at least, I could not find a character with enough redeeming features for whom I could cheer. David Hayman was fun to watch, though. And it introduced me to a name I shall long remember.....Victoria Smurfit !

Offline entropyagent

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die!
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2015, 07:05:40 PM »
Doc Martin? I only saw the first season, found it very amusing. Leans heavily on the screen presence of Martin Clunes, which might be dealbreaker. Fish-out-of-water comedy which might perhaps lose some punch if it goes on for too long?

Foyle's War - WW2 English police detective series - I'm told it went on for longer than the actual war, but I only saw the first 2 seasons, which I enjoyed. No sign of Victoria Smurfit, but I did get to hear Honeysuckle Weeks say "That'd be just tickety-boo, sir"

I like to rate filmed entertainment according to my 5A scorecard. Armour, Aliens, Automatic weapons, Automotive action, Ass. Both scored pretty light, but were entertaining.

Offline Eish

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2015, 07:24:27 PM »

Ja, House of Cards makes you wonder why those in power are in power and makes you realise why some people would go to the ends to protect an unprotectable person.  If you have a strong moral compass, don't be a politician, simple (and don't watch House of Cards)

Another little series I enjoyed was Revolution.  I also really hope they do Season 2 of The Event.

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2015, 11:07:16 PM »

i have one and two
you welcome to drop by
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."