Author Topic: Meridian's MQA  (Read 4771 times)

Offline Rotten Johnny

Re: Meridian's MQA
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 02:36:49 AM »
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 09:54:09 AM »
I went to the 2l site and dl'ed their demo's
 MQA , 1644, 2496 , 24 172 and played them thru my non MQA devialets dac. Did back to back comparisons as I used 3 squeezeboxen into 3 digital inputs on my devialet.

I was most impressed by the MQA .. sounded real natural..
The 2l recordings are exceptional.. and the mqa might have been doctored .. which it had cos thats the point of mqa..doctoring the file.. but I could easily live with that sound forever....
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 10:03:42 AM »
At some point, if and when it becomes commonplace, I'll try it using a MQA enabled DAC.  If it does indeed sound great it may make sense from the point of view of new music, but I definitely won't be rebuilding my existing collection.

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 01:43:08 PM »
Well look like they will kill it with the licensing asked. I wish the audio industry would be more open to open-sourcing stuff and working better together in order to move the market forward rather than fragmenting it further.

Online Larry

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 08:43:54 AM »
I thought I'd posted this earlier:

I see I'm a bit behind behind, but great vid.

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 09:39:31 PM »
www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/munich-high-end-2016-robert-harley-on-analog-and-digital-sources

Brinkmannn Nyquist MQA-Compatible DAC

Turning to digital sources, the press conference announcing the MQA-compatible Nyquist DAC from Brinkmann was preceded, by a matter of minutes, by the announcement by Warner Music that the label would be supporting the MQA format. The timing added a dramatic twist to the Brinkmann event. Warner is the first major label to announce support for MQA. Although Brinkmann is known today primarily for its turntables, the company introduced its first DAC in 1986 and has been making digital sources since. In addition to decoding MQA, the Nyquist DAC is compatible with PCM up to 384kHz/32-bit and DSD128. The modular design includes user-replaceable cards and provides for firmware updates to accommodate future formats. The output stage is a hybrid design that combines tubes and transistors fed from very high voltage supply rails. The two-box unit offers balanced and unbalanced outputs, a headphone amplifier, and Roon-ready network playback. The Nyquist will be available in Q4 at €12,000. The system in which the Nyquist was demonstrated sounded fabulous—Vandersteen Model 5A Carbons driven by Vandertsteen’s own liquid-cooled power amplifiers.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Morne Coetzee

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • POWER | PRECISION | PURITY
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 07:10:45 PM »
If you didn't already know this  :facepalm:

https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music

There is Always justification for more Amplification!

Offline Dolby

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 08:10:38 PM »
I haven't heard (full) MQA and still saving for the hardware - so not going to comment on the technical aspect either. But ...

But it almost seems that because money is being made and there's a commercial aspect - it's bad?
So, money shouldn't be made to progress and we should rather stick to the inferior platform, because they're free?

Assuming there is a difference, do people really care that someone is making money so we can progress?

Anyhow, as mentioned, I've been looking for hardware to decode and every single Linn/Cambridge Audio is out because they're not supporting MQA. There are others that I've read about that have the same thought process and won't be buying non MQA brands. Seems ultimately that these brands are losing sales.

Could marketing really brainwash everyone to such as extent, that they follow this false MQA audio quality? Is LG that silly? Onkyo? Pioneer? Sony? Meridian? Mark Levinson? Technics? Quad? Krell? Electrocompaniet? Bel Canto? Rotel? NAD? TEAC? Is it all a sick, or could there be merit?

Offline adie

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 08:39:18 PM »
If you hear it and you like it, buy it. It's your ears that are important, not others'.

Online Nidri

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 01:45:08 PM »
and the results of joe public audiophile testing are in... http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/mqa-core-vs-hi-res-blind-test-part-i.html

Offline Music_Lover

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 07:16:54 PM »
Sean Jammy on the forum here attested to its virtues. I don't think my ears are good enough but I'd love to hear first hand.
Midrand

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 08:17:45 PM »
Must be good then.

Offline Dolby

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2018, 11:57:47 AM »
I think some music sounds fantastic.

The thing I realised is not all MQA is super duper quality.

I've got MQA which is better than standard FLAC, and standard FLAC better than MQA. I've also got Beach Boys tracks from the 1960's streaming in MQA ...

Offline Music_Lover

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2018, 02:39:10 PM »
I've also got Beach Boys tracks from the 1960's streaming in MQA ...

Not sure even MQA is going to help with that.
Midrand