Anyone own a Pioneer Kuro?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenMasters

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm interested in buying a 50" flatscreen. I've set myself a deadline for the tail end of 2010 (when I'll be returning to SA).

I was planning on getting a Panasonic plasma, hoping by that time they'd have panels that surpass the Pioneers. Now that position is starting to get a little tricky. Currently they are having amazing specials on the Kuro range with posters everywhere saying it's the last time you'll be able to pick one up. The Pioneer 5090 has gone from 25 000 Kr to 17 000 Kr (R25 000) and the 500A from 38 000 Kr to 24 000 Kr (R36 000).

I'm really tempted to pick one up but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

My question to those who might own, or have tested one is this. How black is the Kuro really? There are no showrooms where I can view one in absolute darkness. My current HD set is only 34" but is near as damnit to absolute black (with a black screen in the dark you can just barely make out the rectangular shape). Is the Kuro's black level akin to this?

If I cave and get one, I want to make sure it will perform better than the set I currently own. I've tried googling a comparison but can't find a conclusive opinion between the 5090 and my current XBR960.

I know patience is almost always rewarded, but what if I miss out?