What's been going in Skollie's Workshop?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
An arm adventure.

I've been looking for an arm for the Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference (euggghhh! what a name the poor thing has).

Nothing has been forthcoming so I looked again on a box where I had some pieces of arms, all missing some or other vital part like sme couplers, anti-skate mechanism, arm rest, arm lift and so on so I packed all useable bits out on some clean white paper to see if I could put an arm together and machine some absent parts.

The J-shaped armtube with the correct geometry came from an ancient Pioneer arm but I didn't like the cube gimbal so this was the first part I made, complete with two stainless bearing cages.

I've also had to make a new female sme coupler but I had the locking collar.

The old Pioneer's counterweight was a real doodgooi affair so I had to make a new rubber-mounted arm stub for a lighter counterweight I had.

The Pioneer's arm post was not suitable so this was another part which had to be made, together with an upper stainless bearing cage.

And so the job progressed until I was able to wire the armtube yesterday and I'm about to make a new armlift and bias weight. After this, I will have to make an armpost collar.

So far, so good. If it wasn't for the weight on a string bias adjuster this arm will have, I might have kept this mongrel and fitted on of my other arms to the Transcriptors.

skollie

Latest posts