Author Topic: Cell number portability  (Read 5628 times)

skinnyfat

• Trade Count: (0)
Cell number portability
« on: November 09, 2006, 06:45:22 AM »
With the arrival of cellphone number portability the various operators are now gunning to get your business. How many people do you think will actually take advantage of this. The only benefit I can see is it COULD lead to more competitive pricing but I haven't seen or heard any worthwhile attempt to lure me away from my service provider. Any of you planning on changing ?

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
Re: Cell number portability
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 07:45:20 AM »
The thing is that you can't just 'jump' from one provider to the next. I think I speak for most people when I say that we are all tied into contracts and these need to elapse before you can change. Unless the unthinkable happens and they 'buy' you away from the other provider. Anyways, I think there will be some exiting things happening in this arena. The thing I'm actually waiting for is to see what happens about the second telecoms operator. THEN you will see some tangable progress!
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

skinnyfat

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 08:25:10 AM »
Quote from: "gbyleveldt @ Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:45 am"
The thing is that you can't just 'jump' from one provider to the next. I think I speak for most people when I say that we are all tied into contracts and these need to elapse before you can change.

I think they will target the very lucrative pre-paid market for that

As for the SNO, ihope they bury hellkom, this country's technology abd growth is being stunted by the 'big brother' operation who likes to think 4 gig ADSL is something special. This from a company who only 3 years ago sold ISDN as cutting edge technology - yeah in the early 80's maybe - idiots

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 08:40:54 AM »
Especially in my game we can do with affordable high bandwidth lines. Comapred to what the other countries have available, we are a joke. Funnily enough, Telkom has one of the best monitoring systems in the world. The multi panel projector wall in their control room is THE biggest in the world. I wonder when they gonna stop showing off and start getting with the times! :013:
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
Cell number portability
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 09:52:01 AM »
I think the "buying" of existing contracts is going to happen at some point, just like it does overseas. I am with Nashua and based on past experience, I am sure they will be able to broker a good deal when my current contract expires and take all the paperwork and hassle of switching away. I just get more choices - can only be a good thing :D

skinnyfat

Cell number portability
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 10:02:36 AM »
I think that is why this could be a good thing for the consumer, who is so used to getting ripped of in this country its as routine as a visit to the loo. Lets hope that real benefits start to filter down to us

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 07:24:35 AM »
I just like the Virgin ad's and the dude seems to have personality...

BTW does anybody know whether Cell C's reception is worse than the big2? I remember grumbles about reception and network availability - dunno if it was true or just a rumour, if I were big 2 I would put priority on all "my" numbers, if possible, but I guess as the coverage improves it would be less of  an issue...

Apparently Virgin is linking up with Cell C and then offering better price and service than everybody else... Imagine that... service! better than everybody else... shouldn't be that hard...
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
Cell number portability
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 12:02:41 PM »
I think those hassles with Cell C were right in the start, which wasn't unexpected. I don't think they're as bad anymore but I don't have direct experience. I've heard lots of complains from MTN users though, and I've also had more than just a couple dropped calls and mysterious lack of coverage with Vodacom.

skinnyfat

Cell number portability
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 12:50:16 PM »
Quote from: "kay @ Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:02 pm"
and I've also had more than just a couple dropped calls and mysterious lack of coverage with Vodacom.

Heh he, one of the CONS of JHB living :077:  :077:

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
Cell number portability
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 11:05:38 AM »
Yeah, one would think comms wouldn't be such an issue in the middle of Sandton. And our building has its own cell too. Hasn't happened for a while in fairness.

I was listening to 702 ealier, and another benefit of number portability that some people miss is the ability to move within service providers on the same network. E.g. I was stuck with a prepaid SIM card with absolutely no way of moving my number across to a contract, even while staying with the same network. Eventually I had to bite the bullet for reasons of economy and changed my number.

skinnyfat

Cell number portability
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 11:52:56 AM »
Quote from: "kay @ Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:05 am"

I was listening to 702 ealier, and another benefit of number portability that some people miss is the ability to move within service providers on the same network. E.g. I was stuck with a prepaid SIM card with absolutely no way of moving my number across to a contract, even while staying with the same network. Eventually I had to bite the bullet for reasons of economy and changed my number.

Thats odd, i moved from Prepaid onto contract with Vodacom 2.5 years ago and kept same number

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
Cell number portability
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 03:23:51 PM »
I think it depends on where you bought your prepaid SIM from. At least that's what Nashua told me. I know other people in the same situation, using different service providers :(

skinnyfat

Cell number portability
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 06:06:08 AM »
Ah hah, I went through Vodacom direct, surprisingly efficient

Byrd

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 01:32:14 PM »
WARNING WARNING WARNING

All Nashua Mobile users. Even if the period of your contract has expired you still need to provide 90 DAYS notice of termination of contract!

On that princaple alone I am saying yahoo sucks to you nashua!

END WARNING

Offline DRNB

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 07:47:21 AM »
I think as far as number portability is concerned, the advantage can also be to the contract user.
Think about it.... new contracts used to be much more atractive than a upgrade/renewal of your existing contract. But very few people would take out a new contract after your two y expired becuase then your number have to change.
Now your number can stay the same even if you take your contract to another provider. Thus contract upgrades will have to become more atractive.
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)